Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What should I use questions

Lemmie tell some of the newbies to this business of Landscape renovation and Repair.
Sometimes there is no better tool than a good sharp American tempered steel shovel,spade and a Polaski or an axe a good pair of loppers and a tree saw to remove shrubs..
Some things are just not easy in this line of work and you do actually have to get in there and get dirty,muddy,sweaty and work to acompish your goals.You need to use your muscle and your brain too..you need to remove soil around a plant to get to the roots you need to get cut to get it our.
Sometimes there is no way you should use a vehicle to remove shrubs or plants.You have to think of other damage you could cause by doing so 1st.
You have to think of well..what would happen if this chain breaks?Or this strap breaks or if this rope breaks with full force on it..is it gonna kill the kid nextdoor playing in the yard?Is it going to break a window or take my buddies head off?
If I stick my shovel in here am I going to hit an electrical line?water line?Dripline?Cableline or gas line?Are the roots going to rip out a line?
Some of you sound like you have no thought about such things.
I guess my whole point is when you work in a landscape doing it easiest and fastest is not always the best choice.You learn that as you get more expierienced..
sometimes the best choice is to THINK
then DIG and take the time you need without rushing and hurrying..you will find you are much more productive working in this manner than you are when you jump right into a job with no other thought othert than.."Get her Done"as fast as humanly possible.
This is Sheshovels bit of advice for the ones just starting out and coming up.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When we remove bushes that have deep roots or really old and overgrown bushes we call miss dig first give em 3 working days better to be safe then sorry!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Amen, Great Post Sheshovel! Now if everyone would just follow that mentality^^^
-The cheaper,faster,and less responsibile... Those who are driving the business into the mud (no pun intended).
Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank's now if they would just read it it maybe will do some good!