Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$ foreman makes?

how much do you guys pay your main guys (if your not on the job urself) how much do you pay a foreman. payroll or undertable
Old 03-20-2006, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine make $22.50 an hour on the books. No, I don't want to be cell mates with Bubba if I can help it.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$22.50 geez, around here guys as formans make $12 to $13. i have a friend of mine has worked for the same LCO for over 10 years he can do it all from sod, mulch, retaining walls to mowing, fert., to running skiidsteers, hugh frontend loaders, backhoes,also has a CDL and he only makes $17
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissel_landscaping
$22.50 geez, around here guys as formans make $12 to $13. i have a friend of mine has worked for the same LCO for over 10 years he can do it all from sod, mulch, retaining walls to mowing, fert., to running skiidsteers, hugh frontend loaders, backhoes,also has a CDL and he only makes $17
Sounds like he just likes the job, a man with a CDL can make $25 an hour woithout looking TOO hard

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is 10$ an hour good if he is a younger guy 18 yrs ?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to find out what the going rate is in YOUR area. It will vary widely from other areas. Also, you want to consider that the salary you pay a guy should be intended to make you a competitive employer with those around you so that you have a manageable turnover rate. You never want to get into the position of having "golden handcuffs" on your employees. This will make them feel trapped and always leads to bitterness. Pay competively for your area and then reward their excellent performance with bonuses. When a guy reaches the top of the scale and sees no way to gain more income they will start looking for something else. If you tie their compensation to the success of the jobs THEY are responsible for, you will all make more money. I spent a decade as a manager for Hewlett Packard, and that was one of the greatest lessons I learned. Your job is to create an environment where others can reach their full potential. If you create that environment, they will make all of you succcessful.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

$10 an hour doesn't seem good for a foreman. What's the living wage in your area? A person should at least earn that. What difference does age make? If the guy shows up on time and works hard, should there be any other standard to determine pay?

Low overhead doesn't make me a scrub!