Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$40 a month?

some local competitors here are doing mowing for $40 a month. WTH? that CANT possibly be right, I mean, when you're charging that much monthly, you're making practically nothing unless you've got somewhere around half the town as customers.

I dont get it. anyone got some ideas. I suspect since I heard this from my boss who is an arborist, its a miscommunication, but I dont know. how can someone be in business if they're charging that a month?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Masters
how can someone be in business if they're charging that a month?
Maybe they're using the old philosophy: "I may be losing money on every account, but I'm making up for it in volume". Don't worry about those dorks. They'll be out of business soon enough, and the customers that flock to them aren't the kind you want anyway.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Like it or not, any monkey with a mower can more or less provide the same service as we can. Maybe he lives in a 200/month apartment, doesn't pay taxes/insurance... has a 8 year old lawnmower that he found somewhere, and if it breaks he goes to wal mart and buys another $100 mower. Maybe he has no family is happy making enough to buy his case of keystone light and carton of smokes and aspires to nothing more.

Who knows, but it is a fact in this business and always will be as long grass grows and Wal Mart offers monkeys the chance to buy mowers so cheaply.

Which reminds me to get back to working on my invention. A way to put a microchip into every single blade of grass and bag of seed in the area. The chip will produce an indestructable blade of grass, that can only be mowed from a mower with a scanner that inputs the matching code. This mower of course will be produced by me also.

Last edited by oslo; 03-19-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what size lawns are we talking here?
i have a few $40 a month homes. they take about 90 seconds to cut, literally. lined up also, so i am making great profit on those.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I"m going to ask my boss what the names of these companies are, and I'm going to ask some questions myself. see what the deal is so to speak. I'm almost sure they're probably not insured, paying taxes, or anything. will post more as I find out.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

could be very small properties that are being cut bi-weekly.

'04 Dodge Quad w/Hemi
12' Stainless steel trailer
52" Great Dane Surfer Fixed deck
48" Scag belt WB (FOR SALE)
36" Toro Belt T-Bar WB
JRCO rake
Lesco Model 30 Aerator
Echo PB-610 Blower
Echo SRM-260 trimmer
Echo PE-260 Edger
Old 03-20-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen ads like that for mowing - but that is all you get, mowing. There is no edging, trimming, or blowing involved. Those things are extra.

I wouldn't worry to much about this. Either he will go out of business or people won't like his mowing only philosophy.

Soli Deo Gloria