Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
job descriptions.

for me driver and crew leader are a joint task. No DL, no job for the former crew leader. I pay my crew leader / driver much more than the others and I'll be damned if I have to pay two people like that because one is too lazy, stupid, stubborn or whatever to fix the problem with the DL.
You are exactly correct. But the guy without his license shows up on time every day, works his butt off, knows all of the properties, and provides me with other workers.

He does drive his truck to work, but without a license, I can't put him behind my wheel.

The guy is a perfect employee, except for the license part.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Back about 15 years ago I was hired by a company as a crew leader but there wasn't much difference (if any ) in pay and the other guys had been with the company longer. I was given the leader title because of my age and responsiblity and my other green industry experience. It was never stated that I would drive all the time but I did a lot of it. Sometimes I just didn't feel like driving and one of the other guys liked driving and actually knew the area and route better at first than I did. So I ended up driving about half the time but not because I couln't just because that's what worked for our crew. Not driving made it easier to do other things between stops like phone calls, checking the route sheet and filling out paper work.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene $immons
You are exactly correct. But the guy without his license shows up on time every day, works his butt off, knows all of the properties, and provides me with other workers.

He does drive his truck to work, but without a license, I can't put him behind my wheel.

The guy is a perfect employee, except for the license part.
I was that guy over 20 years ago.I was the forman and hired the workers for several years.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oops It double posted
Old 03-19-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any employees, but if I did I would give a "driving bonus" to the guy with the license. If your foreman makes 15 an hour but can't drive, and another guy on the crew makes 12 an hour and can, take a dollar an hour away from the foreman and give it to the driver. For that dollar an hour he needs to get the rig safely from job to job, and ensures that all equipment is accounted for and properly secured. The foreman would keep overall responsibility for all aspects of work from the time the truck leaves the shop to the time it returns. I see nothing at all wrong with the foreman driving, but to borrow from the fire service, the guy riding shotgun is in charge, period. The driver is responsible for the rig and equipment.
Maybe it will give your guy some financial incentive to regain his license if it costs him $2000 a year to not have it. He may threaten to quit and work somewhere else, but where can he go to make the same money if he doesn't have a license?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much do you want to keep this guy? Are you willing to work with him on getting his license back?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002
I don't have any employees, but if I did I would give a "driving bonus" to the guy with the license. If your foreman makes 15 an hour but can't drive, and another guy on the crew makes 12 an hour and can, take a dollar an hour away from the foreman and give it to the driver. For that dollar an hour he needs to get the rig safely from job to job, and ensures that all equipment is accounted for and properly secured. The foreman would keep overall responsibility for all aspects of work from the time the truck leaves the shop to the time it returns. I see nothing at all wrong with the foreman driving, but to borrow from the fire service, the guy riding shotgun is in charge, period. The driver is responsible for the rig and equipment.
Maybe it will give your guy some financial incentive to regain his license if it costs him $2000 a year to not have it. He may threaten to quit and work somewhere else, but where can he go to make the same money if he doesn't have a license?
You can't really take away money from the non driver because he doesn't have a license. It isn't like he lost the license. He hasn't had it. You would be putting yourself in legal jeopardy. You could offer him an extra $1 if he got it back.

I just don't see it happening though.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How can you get into legal trouble by cutting someone's pay? As long as you pay at least minimum wage and don't violate EOC regulations, you can pretty much pay what your employee will accept. If you explain to him, "look, because you can't drive the truck, I have to give that extra responsibility to someone who can. That extra responsibility is worth extra pay. Because you can't drive, that extra pay has to come from you." I can't see how that is not legal.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002
How can you get into legal trouble by cutting someone's pay? As long as you pay at least minimum wage and don't violate EOC regulations, you can pretty much pay what your employee will accept. If you explain to him, "look, because you can't drive the truck, I have to give that extra responsibility to someone who can. That extra responsibility is worth extra pay. Because you can't drive, that extra pay has to come from you." I can't see how that is not legal.
That might be a good way to have him start doing a crappy job and resenting the owner.

Now, my problem is trying to convince my insurance company to accept a potential driver who has a good driving record minus a DUI. They are telling me that they won't cover him.