Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

homeowners that landscape???

I am doing a business plan for a nursery and landscaping company and cant see to find a couple of stats. I have looked through all the reports I could find and went through housing stats.

I cant seem to find the percentage of homeowners that landscpe. I would figure this would be a common stat but I assumed wrong.

Also, for those of you that watch spoialge(plants that have died, disease etc...)what is the industry percentage???

Thanks for any help
Kyle Cook
Old 03-22-2006, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

about 85% do there own scaping on existing homes and about 60 % on new home installations.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This post sounds deliberately vague. I'm sensing BS here. What does the nursery care who buys their stuff. Any nursery dumb enough to need a buisness plan shouldn't be in buisness. Anybody that needs a buisness plan shouldn't be in buisness. What's the rationale there. Duh, I don't no who to sell my bushes to! Do you live in a forrest or a suburban area? duh. The basis of this whole site is people forming their own "buisness plans" just by asking questions.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply where did you get your stats (assumptoins)??

so if you own a company you make all the decisions without any type of marketing data. You say to yourself this is a good location put 400,000 into it and customers should show up!! The purpose of a business plan is to have a map and have borrowing power from banks. Believe it or not a sound business plan wil get one more credibility at a bank then you showing up saying give me money please I think I no what I am doing. Plans are not necessary for every comapny but if I am going to be buying one I want to no every detail from sales to the comanies cash flow statements.

I am not going to use any stat that someone posts I want real datat this is just a ballpark figure. I am not satisfied with an average company nor should anyonelse(not saying yours is average) bigger companies with more capital need a business to give the company direction. I know a commercial landscaper that does a business plan every year, and the company does 3 million( the owner is not even 30). With a similar business background I see the quality of students coming out of particular business programs. These students are not all going to be executives but some are striving to own there own landscaping business/Nursery companies. The bar is getting raised and existing companies can wait or you can prepare.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFLORD
This post sounds deliberately vague. I'm sensing BS here. What does the nursery care who buys their stuff. Any nursery dumb enough to need a buisness plan shouldn't be in buisness. Anybody that needs a buisness plan shouldn't be in buisness. What's the rationale there. Duh, I don't no who to sell my bushes to! Do you live in a forrest or a suburban area? duh. The basis of this whole site is people forming their own "buisness plans" just by asking questions.
Are you serious? The foundation for any serious business is a long term business plan. Starting a nursery or landscape center involves considerably more risk and monetary investment than any type of service company. Banks want to know you have done your homework, This is probably for a loan. Why would you spend time responding to this thread when you have nothing to contribute? Putting down someone else does not elevate you, quite the opposite. Whats the point.

Here we estimate a 7% loss first year 3-5% loss second year and 1% in the third year. I'm sure this info as well as the % of do it yourselfers will vary from area to area. Here is a tip to help with a business plan see if you can get a hold of a prospectus from a H/D or similar co to the one you are competing against, they should have all the % info you need. I don't know if they are available on line or you may have to request on from a broker like Scott trade. Any publicly traded company will have one for potential investors.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may enjoy a level of success without a business plan, but I guarantee it will be less than you could achieve with one. I can't even imagine starting a business without a plan, is it even possible? Some plans may be well documented, and others just in someone's head, but we all had a plan when we started. If you are not documenting your assumptions each year and then reviewing your progress and the accuracy of those assumptions each year, you are not capitalizing on all of the opportunity you could be.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vern
Some plans may be well documented, and others just in someone's head, but we all had a plan when we started. If you are not documenting your assumptions each year and then reviewing your progress and the accuracy of those assumptions each year, you are not capitalizing on all of the opportunity you could be.
This is kind of what I'm talking about. Call it an "idea" or a "buisness plan", but everybody has a thought on what they're about to do. From The Donald on down to "Duh, I'm gunna buy a mower and a truck and make a lot of money! Now, is it necessary to physically write down which direction one choses to take, or is someone going to be smart enough to think about what they're doing. I am constantly evaluating what I'm going to do. Do I want to sell and move and start again? Do I want another rental property? Ooooh, guess what? Now is not the time to buy rental property because interest rates are high and so is the cost of real estate. How do I know this? I read the paper. Duh. If I was to purchase another buisness it wouldn't be outside my realm of expertise. Like oh say a mink coat factory. Why? Because I know better. And as far as going to the bank with a buisness plan,"Oh hi Mr. Jones, yes your buisness plan looks very impressive, here's my daughter. If you want us to lend you the $5m, just prove COLLATERAL greater than the loan and we're good to go.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah, it's not the buisness plan I was on about, but the fact that someone would need a consultation for this.

Last edited by TURFLORD; 03-22-2006 at 05:22 PM.