Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2006, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
Try doing a search for the SBA. That's the Small Business Assistance loans of the government. I can't remember exactly where on here, but, I just read a thread on it a couple of days ago. One of the members got the OK from the SBA, and went thru Capital One for the financial end. You could just go online to the SBA site and get whatever assistance you need. Then you just go to your bank for the $$$$$$. Of course good credit and a sensible business plan are musts. Keep us posted and let us know how you make out.
Email before going the SBA route. There are many things that the banks forget to tell you. I'm in a battle with a bank about their nondisclosureon my SBA.

Don
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Same question but for Alabama

The title of my post says it all. Same question as eddie06 but for the state of Alabama. I've found plenty of info. on the web for Utah, Michigan, Conneticut, etc. but nothing for Alabama. I called the local County extension service and they say all I need is a commercial landscape license for everything- one licenese covers pesticides, fertilizer, planting trimming, etc.? State Department of Agriculture informed me that they don't administer this license exam in the Mobile area till July. Come on! What do they want me to do for a living till then.

Also does anybody have a simple formula to figure out what to charge per project. For example for every hour of mowing, "x" amount should be charged or for other projects, material costs + "x"% Also any suggestions for adding extra income in the winter months.

Thanks
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie06
hi everyone i want to start my own landscaping and yard service co. will anyone tell me what i need to be leagle with the state.i live in flordia. thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I hope I don't wear out my welcome

Another quick question,

Can anyone recommend a great computer program for identifying plants. I love the ones on the net in which you answer questions concerning type of leaves (shape, number per stem,serrated, etc.) and then they compute the type of plant you have. However all of those net programs have an extremely limited number of plants so I rarely find a match. I would like to find a program like these but with a much larger number of plants in its database.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 04-25-2006, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadman
My first post... This thread has been a terrific read for me. I have been lurking and reading. I am starting this Spring (April) providing basic lawn service. I am running the business from my home office. I am retiring from 25 years in the military and opening a one man lawn care show. I've already purchased equipment, gotten some legal advice from a friend (I have to start paying as soon as I open my company) and I begin advertising next weekend. I already had about half of my equipment. The place I bought the rest of my equipment from services all of my equipment including Craftsman. They will give me a 10% discount and return equipment in 24 hours or provide loaner equipment. My goal is to have 20-25 regular lawn care customers providing lawn mowing, weed eating and edging. I will provide additional services like aeration, gutter cleaning, fertilizing and seeding, leaf cleanup to them and other customers. I am looking to do lawn care for contracts. I will give seniors/retirees and deployed military 15% discounts.

What I've learned so far...This is a great site with alot of people sharing their knowledge and experience. Thank you. Besides what I've already done above I've started stocking up on Sun Screen, wasp spray, belts, blades, tools, fire extinguishers and pee bottles...etc....

I cut 2 neighbors yards this fall. I removed leaves from another. Free. I did this to help them out and to get the feel for what it was like doing someone else's lawn/yard. It allowed me to figure time, gas cost etc... It has helped me with figuring pricing. They know I am going into business and there are no more freebies.

This week I went to the Business Licensing Section of my local City to ask questions. It was slow there and they took alot of time talking to me. This was HUGE. I learned alot of do's and don't's for my local area without having to read the entire City Ordnance.

Some examples...I thought I could not apply fertilizer/ grass seed with out a license/certification. I can. In my area if I can buy it off the shelf and disburse it through a spreader I require no licensing. I need licensed if it goes under pressure from water or a tank or is a controlled chemical /pesticide.
This isn't going to be my primary business but it's nice to know that I can do it.

Local ordnance....I can't have my trailer in my front yard/driveway overnight if there is a business logo on it. I must park it in my yard behind the front edge of the house. On the weekends I can tell I am going to have to park my trailer in the driveway for extended periods to do maintenance on equipment.

Local Ordnance...If I have employees they can't come to my home to meet for work.

Local Ordnance If a customer asked I can spread topsoil and mulch without licensing. BUT...IF I do a single job charging more than $1000 then I am a Class C Contractor and have to be licensed. I can put mulch in an existing flower bed or I can create one. Locally IF applying topsoil and I change the grade of the property it has to have city approval and I have to have a contractors license. Again not my primary business but nice to know what I can and can't do.

The week before last I called my insurance company. (Highly recommended that you call and discuss insurance before hand to get an idea of what you will need and who will provide it). As long as my trailer is attached to my truck it is considered part of my vehicle and covered under my present car insurance. The trailer and it's contents are insured. If I disconnect the trailer or take it out of the trailer it is no longer covered. My insurance company does not carry equipment insurance but they will arrange it through a different company.

My Liability insurance covers any damage incurred while I am operating equipment. IF I get off a riding mower to move a bird bath, bench, chair, trampoline and drop it/break it...Not covered. I need different insurance to cover that. I may need to get three different policies. I'm still sorting this one out.

Currently I am waiting for my registration as a LLC to come back from the State. Being in the military I have kept my legal residence in Nevada (no state income taxes, cheaper car tags and drivers licensing). Before I can register my company locally I have to change my state of residence locally. I have to re-register all vehicles, drivers license and I become immediately available for the Jury pool.

I created my own logo and slogan. I made up my own flyers and business cards using power point and microsoft publisher. I went to a local company to get quotes for signs and vehicle magnets and my logo is not usable because of software differences and they want to re-do it. I am shopping around to find someone who can use my design. I have grown to like my design and don't want it changed.

These are some of the many things I learned locally. The point is to go to your local City/State and insurance company and find out what you can and can't do and what the rules are for your business. Look in this site for answers from work experience. I am sure one day I will have a long list of "lesson's learned". Thanks to all who have posted. I hope to be a contributor

Semper Fi~

I myself, did my tour with "The Few, the proud, the United States Marines!

If you'd like I can take a look at your logo and see what I can do!

Here is my logo.. http://www.thegreensavers.us the site isn't finished but it will be up by the end of the week!

Tucker~
Old 04-29-2006, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

tip # 439

Drink more water.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

When making a yearly bid on commerical work how many cuttings should I base it on?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

i use only scagg eq,and i have insisted my employs to engage/disengage my eq at low rpms,now some situiations dont allow for this,thats when well greased eq will slow some wear and tear
Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

my guys are not allowed to leave the shop with out, a walk arround theire truck ,trailer, ect,i agree that spills on streets and cutomers lawns is just un proffesional. i git-r- done fast,reliable,and most of all professional, good habits makes for a good living,and better customers.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

the general stuff

i ve only be in the bussiness a while but here's a few tips i learned quickly
1 us glasses, i like the yellow tint, makes the green stand out, (have the wrap around cause it hurts bad when you get beamed in the bottom eyelid)
2 even if ur good mower breaks ALWAYS mow the dang yard anyway cause u'll lose bussiness FAST
3 always think before you act b/c stuff can go really wrong really fast
Old 05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

trailer

make sure ur a master w/ the trailer before you head out b/c if u dont u'll be tryin to back a trailer somewhere and the only thing u'll get are weird looks and kids laughin at u lol