Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Exclamation Two Choices...What should I do?

Hello:

Ok, just for your records, I'm currently 17, will be 18 in May and going to College nest year. I got into two very good undergraduate business programs within the state, one about 15 miles from my main accounts, the other about 30 miles away. I'm going to need to make at least $20K/year if not 30/K for school alone, depending on which school I attend. Plus some extra just to have fun with Currently I will make about $20K Gross ($12.5-15K Net) with the accounts I have now. Since I'm going to college nect year, I've decided not to bid of some of the bigger accounts that will need alot of attention that would double those figures but have more costs. I still havn't really advertised for residental in my area so I may get some good accounts that way but may not, just have to see. I have about $125K in equipment, but will be selling off about half to two thirds of it this spring to pay off debts and start s bigger savings for later on in life. My question is, should I try and sell my business or merge with another business for during college, work as a partner and then if it's still what I want to do after, buy it back? Or should I work as much as I can during college by myself, maybe wear myself out and keep it all my own? Please help me figure this out. I need to start making decisions fast! Thanks again
Old 03-26-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I tired doign what your doing it sucks. GO to community college part time and mow. Thats what I'm doing. I dont think its wise to do both. Also going to a University the first two years doesnt make you any smarter just fatter and drunker. Peace. Do what makes you happy
Old 03-27-2006, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I would probably limit my work to weekends and long breaks and have a helper with me. I can't go to a community college because my parents won't allow that...even though I think it's a good idea but I can't argue with them. Thanks for the advice tho. Anyone else?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I suggest you either get a close friend or someone who will be willing to do alot of the work for you while you are at school. If that is not an option try and schedule only 12 credit hours a semester and make most of your classes on the same days so you have full or half days to mow. Worst case just skip a class if you get way behind. The worst time will be in the spring while you are in school and the grass is growing like crazy. Just my $0.02
Old 03-27-2006, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Emil, it sounds like you're the one who is going to be paying for your college education. If that's the case; your parents shouldn't be dictating to you where you'll attend. Do some homework on 2 year community colleges to make sure all/most of your credits will transfer to a 4 year college. Then avoid any classes your first 2 years that won't transfer. You'll save yourself a lot of money and won't have to deal with classes which have 100+ students in them. This means you'll get more personal attention from each professor. You may also want to bring to your parents attention that the first 2 years of college at a 4 year university are designed to weed out as many freshmen and sophomores as possible. They're more concerned with your money than educating you.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. My parents will help pay for me if I need the help, but they want me to help pay towards it as well. I like to prove people wrong, and in this case I'd like to prove that I can pay for my college education by myself, so it's kinda a thing between me and my parents. As for the community colleges, I've tried bring them up but it's not worth the fight. I got into two local 4 year colleges that are both ranked nationally within the top 100 undergraduate business colleges (CU Leeds & DU Daniels) Since DU is about 2 times more than CU even with scholarships factored in, I'm probably going to be going to CU Leeds, which is ranked higher anyways, but it has the larger classes so I can't decide if DU is worth the extra $10K per year. What do you think? CU Leeds will be about $15-20K/year and DU Daniels will be about $25-30K/year. Both are very competative in rankings but class size is the difference.

I'm going to try and schedule all mowing to be done on the weekends and have 1 or 2 reliable guys help me out and pay them by the day. I've done the whole employee thing and it's not worth my hassle at the moment so I'm going to change things up while in college. I might also merge and work summers and do office work while in college. I dunno, hard choices....
Old 03-27-2006, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your parents sound like selfish people. You can do what you want to do but its going to be hard and not fun and you may even become depressed. Mowing lawns on weekends and breaks is hard and if it rains than what it cuts into school? I ended up droping a lot of classes doing that; I learned that my limit is 2 classes per semester maybe three if I really feel ambitious.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

emil35, have you put together a contract w/ a no compete clause between you and your friends? What's to say that they're not going to buy their own equipment and take over your accounts? Are your customers on contract?

grassyfras brings up some very valid points. When I went to college I was taking 18 credit hours and working at UPS from 1 a.m. to 8 a.m., and that was rough. I averaged 3 hours of sleep per night and became a walking zombie. You won't have the luxury of working the hours I did (as if there was anything luxurious about them...NOT!), and there's only so much time in a day. What you're proposing is next to impossible. Take into consideration that every 1 hour you spend in class you need 1 to 3 hours of study time. May I suggest that you only take 2 or 3 classes your first semester? I know that doesn't sound like much, but you'll find that not only will your time be stretched to the limits; it'll give you time to adjust to an entirely new lifestyle.

Also keep in mind that your college years can be either the best times of your life or the worst. It's what you make of them. Good luck on whichever path you choose.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just take my advice on this one. I'm there right now. Some guys may say they did college and mowed 20 or so lawns a week but to be honest they probbly didnt have a life and weren't happy. I have a lot of friends at Universities and they spend a lot of time studying and doing club and other organizations. They have no free time and most couldnt even handle a job. Its not worth, do one or the other and just take a class or two.

Also, Internet classes have been very helpful to me.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Those are all things I'm worried about. What about if I got one employee who could handle everything on their own while I'm in class? I know it's an employee but it could be a big help. Anyone ever do that? Or, what about merging and still working in the summers and just from time to time during school to make some money for school? I just can't see giving it all up and not having a way to make anything...doesn't make sense. But at the same time all your points do make sense. ugh, soo difficult. I think I've decided on the cheaper college that is actually ranked higher nationally for undergrad business than the higher price school so all I need is about $15K-$20K/year. Parents will most likely chip in at least $5K and maybe some more for personal stuff. keep the suggestions coming please. each one brings about important things to think about...Thanks!