Register free!

Old 03-26-2006, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

50 FEET Long........

Ok I need some help. Customer Has 50 feet of fence line that has some old dead shrubs in it. I am going to get rid of the old stuff and plant new shrubs. This is what I need some help with. I konw it seems simple but is new to me. She has a lot of holly out front (small red berries with prickly leaves) that she wants to match up to.

My main question is how far apart do I plant the shrubs. Like I said it is roughly 50 feet that I will be utilizing. And how do I price that? After I figure how many plants I need, do I just double the price of the plant(there is a good wholesale only nursery here that I can buy from) and charge some sort of planting fee, or just mark up the plant and that be it.

Also, I won't have access to this area with a truck or even my large z, and need to pull out the 8 shrubs that are there now. 2 of them that are coming out are not in the fence line that I am replacing. How should I go about this. Normaly would just cut as close to the ground, but need to plant the new stuff there?

Hope you guys can help,

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited by Mr.Mow-It-All; 03-26-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If there are posts on the fence line then buy a cheap come along and pull them out. If not then dig them out.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

C'mon guys I realy need some help on how to price this thing. Double the cost of the shrubs or what. Also how far apart to space them. They want it to grow into a full hedge for privacy.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you're trying to create a hedge row a foot spacing is enough. once the shrubs grow together all the focus on growth will then go to the top, back and front. if you aggresivly cut off all the growth on the front and back the plant will grow taller faster.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua
if you're trying to create a hedge row a foot spacing is enough. once the shrubs grow together all the focus on growth will then go to the top, back and front. if you aggresivly cut off all the growth on the front and back the plant will grow taller faster.
Do you mean aggresivly as in right after I plant them, cut off the front and back, or as it grows. How do you price it also.

Thanks that helps a lot cause I was thinking 2-3 foot spacing.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ya need help??

never a problem , with no access for pulling cut off an then go back an grind roots with small stump grinder that way when ya finish its ready for planting an the holes are dug for ya .walk it off an see how many plants to fill in 50 foot area , i would say 17-18 if your average step is 2.5 -3 foot .now go get the plants an install. an if its getting mulched pick that up as well . after its all done take all your expenses, grinder rental cost , gas cost for truck an equipment,material cost etc. times that by 2.8 an wah- lah ,, have fun see ya george
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when i plant anything i prune off any undesired grow whether its on trees, shrubs, or dead heading flowers. yes i would prune off the front and back off the shrub when its planted. and as offen as possible ( once monthy ). but keep in mind what the customer has in mind isn't going to happen overnight or the first year. it could take 2 maybe 3 years. to help you with price its almost a blind bid if you could get a picture it would be very helpful. on removal a nice sharp set of loppers and a shovel would be good.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. will let you know how I do.