Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2006, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn peeling back

I was doing a cleanup today where large patches of lawn would just peel up with the blower and rake. It's not what you typically see with grub damage, the lawn areas still seem to be green and alive, though it's a little hard to tell this time of year.
This property was treated by chemlawn for many years and by Scott's last year. Maybe that explains it.... Believe it or not they weren't happy and heard "that chemicals might not be so good."
They want a quote for an organic program, and I plan on doing a soil test if I get the account, but I would like to be able to tell them what's causing this. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it is most likly grub damage! with the warm weather the grubs are still in the soil I found them when they excavated for my addition. and the racoons are probably eating them up.

Details make money!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lightbulb "Typical chemical Lawn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard
I was doing a cleanup today where large patches of lawn would just peel up with the blower and rake. It's not what you typically see with grub damage, the lawn areas still seem to be green and alive, though it's a little hard to tell this time of year.
This property was treated by chemlawn for many years and by Scott's last year. Maybe that explains it.... Believe it or not they weren't happy and heard "that chemicals might not be so good."
They want a quote for an organic program, and I plan on doing a soil test if I get the account, but I would like to be able to tell them what's causing this. Any thoughts? Thanks!
After many years, even good lawns can fall tothe effects of a Chemical only plan, Shallow roots, poor irragation practices,lack of soil amendments / conditioners......is this in the shade?........wrong seed selection.........grubs do have a late april-may emergence, though
i've never had that problem with organic turf
Old 03-26-2006, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats because organix rocks!

Nocutting did you know that I live in the soil? I eat up nutrients in the soil and convert them to plant food! Was getting kinda dark in there though, so I came out for a while.........
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
After many years, even good lawns can fall tothe effects of a Chemical only plan, Shallow roots, poor irragation practices,lack of soil amendments / conditioners......is this in the shade?........wrong seed selection.........grubs do have a late april-may emergence, though
i've never had that problem with organic turf
Yes, a lot of it is in the shade. What do you recommend for seed?