Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2001, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid formulas.

Hey folks. I'm finishing my first year in the biz and I have to say that it's been great. But now, I find that I need to do some 'tweaking' to make it continue to be great. One question that I have is this: what formula do you use to come up with commercial and or residential bids? I've just been looking at the place, thinking in my head what I could do it for and still be happy with how it looks, what I'm making, how long I'm there, etc. and letting them know that way. It's worked out well so far but I don't want to put myself in a postion that I'm the only one that can do this, later on. I want to be able to tell a guy the formula for figuring bids and turn him loose, rather than just say, well, that one there would be about $400 a month, and give him no reason why. Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Write down exactly what you think about in your head and make a "checklist" of items & go from there. Do a search in the commercial lawn forum using "price", "pricing", "bid", "estimates" etc. Plenty of great info already here. If you get through all of those posts and have more specific questions, bring them on. There are also estimating books & software available from a few of the green industry consultants that go into great detail about how to set up an estimating system for your particular situation. Once you get a good system set up it should be easy to train others to use it and produce good estimates down the road.