Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2006, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LMA - Lawn Mowers Association

Just sitting here thinking about the most challenging parts of being an LCO. I would have to say in spite of lowballers, cranky clients, too much rain and the other uncontrollable items, the major issues for me would have to be health care insurance and HR issues.

I wish I knew how to unite other LCO's into an association that could go to market to buy large-group health insurance for our industry. This would be sort of a PEO for LCO's. Has anyone came across this type of thing, yet? In addition, the PEO for LCO's could offer HR support.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually this is already in the works. Not just lawn guys but small business in general. Small business owners have been working towards buying group health insurance with other small business' even if they are a completely different profession. I'm all for it and hope it works out, group health plans are expensive and something needs to be done to make it affordable for small business to offer their employees benefits.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn
Just sitting here thinking about the most challenging parts of being an LCO. I would have to say in spite of lowballers, cranky clients, too much rain and the other uncontrollable items, the major issues for me would have to be health care insurance and HR issues.

I wish I knew how to unite other LCO's into an association that could go to market to buy large-group health insurance for our industry. This would be sort of a PEO for LCO's. Has anyone came across this type of thing, yet? In addition, the PEO for LCO's could offer HR support.
They already exist. It's called "Chamber of Commerce". Check out your local CoC, most offer all it's members discount health insurance.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 03-25-2006, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

In new york the health Insurance is the highest

And only certain companies can offer it. This state is by the STATE of COLLUSION!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have HealthyNY.com for small business owners and broke people

428 coverage and i pay 212.71 every month anyone in NY fill out the application and send them a paystub saying you make $300 a week( i think anything under 50k salary is good) i didnt have any on the books work so my brother made one on the computer

i sent in the application and they didnt call or ask any questions they just sent a bill and my card
Old 03-25-2006, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn

Agreed, and before someone says PLANET, you best look at their dues. We need a low cost association that care about helping their members not their own pockets. PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

low cost health plans

A word of caution to all of you: Group insurance rates through associations are not always cheaper! A lot of people sign up for it becuase they believe that "it must be cheaper" and often times it is not. There are several associations that claim to offer discounts. Sometimes they do, but the discounts are offered through health insurance companies that already have their premiums too high.

All too often if you dig deep enough you'll find that the insurance company or insurance agent is making LARGE contributions to the association or its top members to be the number 1 recommended insurance carrier; regardless of the value the members are getting.

In addition to owning Master Care Lawnscape Inc, I am also a financial planner. I went to MSU and have a degree in finance. Probably about 80% of my clients are lawn company owners.....its a natural market for me. If anyone would like a free quote, please contact me. I am independent and have access to just about every company under the sun.

Let me know if I can help!
jonesd11@yahoo.com

Donadio Financial Services
office phone: 586-737-2000

- Ask for DAN !!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

all i have to offer is good luck. go to affordablebenifitplans4u.com, $154 a month for the whole family. i just got it and havent had the chance to use it. i was ver skepticle at first but i will see how it turns out and tell you guys. but it sounds so good.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think you have a catastrophic plan. Beware of the insurance plans that give you the illusion of being insured but only cover 80% of a 30,000 bill. I had one of those plans for 3-4 years then my son broke his arm we ended up paying for 95% of it. We now have a good plan through the state, low co pays and it is only for small businesses less than 50 employees. We have a big family and the cost is the same for 2 or 6 kids. I think we are paying around 500 with 4 kids. Thank you AZ.