Register free!

Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funding for fields...

Anyone know of a government grant or anything that will help fund my "dream" of building softball fields on about 22 acres of property? This I think would be a gold mine in my area. But I can't figure out how to get the $ for start up. Thought about a silent partner, which is still a possibility but have never done it before. I will want to own this biz by myself eventually, so do I seek someone who has the $ and will just let me pay them back say, 8% in a yr. or 2? Also how many fields do you think you could put on 22 acres of land? I know the parking lot would have to be pretty large, but i'm thinking I could easily fit 4 fields on this property! Any input from you guys would be great!

Thanks

BCF Lawn & Landscape
'05 Chevy 2500HD
'05 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
18' Enclosed Trailer
20' Enclosed Trailer
24' Liberty Gooseneck Bobcat Trailer
18' Landscape Curbing Trailer
60" Cub Commercial Tank
60" Cub Commercial Recon
2 52" Wright Standers
36" Cub Commercial Walk Behind
763 Bobcat
Stihl weedeaters and Blowers
7.5' Meyers Snow Plow
8' Blizzard Snow Plow
10 Foot Snow Box
Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you wanting to build them for like, community teams? Our city has their own league but out in the county each community has their own team that go from field to field.

How are you planning to profit? Concessions, player fees? You have to keep interest up ever year for sure. Our field used to have 5-6 age groups but the last couple years have had not enough sign up for even one team.

Another thing - the fields around here are not for profit. Most all are on donated land. What money is collected is put into the fields, lights, concessions,etc.

Last edited by RonB; 01-18-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

This is a business venture in which you must follow the proper protocols to get the funding you are looking for. You must do a business plan. This will tell you, from the research you do to answer specific questions, the viability of this idea. Look in here, on the business threads, for software that can help you along these lines. You will also see how to go about getting interest and money for your dream from unlikely sources.
Give yourself time to develop the plan. A good plan takes three to six months to put together. The time spent on doing this may save you an incredible amount of money and headaches. Lastly, any lending place requires a business plan to get a loan.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know that major league baseball offers grants to get fields going, but it SOMEWHAT depends on your local demographics. They're trying to redo fields and such in lower income areas.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B Laidlaw
This is a business venture in which you must follow the proper protocols to get the funding you are looking for. You must do a business plan. This will tell you, from the research you do to answer specific questions, the viability of this idea. Look in here, on the business threads, for software that can help you along these lines. You will also see how to go about getting interest and money for your dream from unlikely sources.
Give yourself time to develop the plan. A good plan takes three to six months to put together. The time spent on doing this may save you an incredible amount of money and headaches. Lastly, any lending place requires a business plan to get a loan.
Hope this helps.
Yes the business plan is a great start. I'm currently working on getting funds together to buy a ski area here in Western NY. The area has just gone on the market after 4-5years of piss poor ownership. The current owner of the area is worth 50+ million and from what I can tell has no interest in making sure its run right as long as he makes money.

The area is listed for just over $3,000,000. I'm planning on paying $500,000 out of my pocket. Getting a bank loan for $1,500,000. Working with a private investor who is willing to pitch $1,000,000. On top of my $500,000 investment, I will also pay all of the operating costs out of my pocket (payroll, maintenance, etc)..

Still in the works.. Probably won't happen for a year if it happens at all.. Just takes time but I'm sure the grant money and private funding is there.
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience in this area but I can't see how it would be a proffitable idea. Our city just built a 16 feild soccer complex and it cost 12 million. I play in the adult league and only pay 75.00 per season (spring&fall). It seems like you would have to charge a whole lot just to break even. We might have 1000 players through all the leagues at 150 per year per player thats only 150,000.00.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. This type of project usually falls into the realm of local governments because it has to be heavily subsidized by all members of the community. I know what maintenance costs on an area that large per season would be and just to cover those, the fields would have to be in paid use 6 hours a day, every day, for the entire season at typical league player fees. That doesn't cover the acquisition costs of the land, building improvements, fencing, property taxes, insurance or any other overhead. Maybe your area is completely different than any public facilities we've done here in the west, but it seems to be lacking the proper revenue stream. Have you thought about converting it to a nine hole golf course or driving range? Golf is a sickness that drives people sunup to sundown, softball/baseball, not quite so much so.