Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need tires for 40-year-old mower

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell off your chair laughing at me, but they are for a 1965, 22-inch, self-propelled Hahn-Eclipse POW-R-PRO. I had to replace the engine about a dozen years back, but the mower still runs great. However, the tires are starting to disintegrate from old age. They are unusual tires, so I am providing a photo. As you can see, the rim has 12 quarter-inch projection around the perimeter which I don't know the name of, but they might be called tenons; and the inside perimeter of the rubber tire has grooves those tenons fit into. So a conventional tire won't do. With all of the knowledge and experience Lawnsite members have, I wonder if anyone knows where I might buy those tires. The old ones have the Hahn-Eclipse name and a part number 33085.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Feeling sympathetic for your situation, somewhat respectful for your not throwing this by the wayside, and general curiosity about older equipment....

I found this ( http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/ga...ges/63569.html )

It's semi-current being it's from January '06, so good luck with it! I really hope you get 'er up-n-running soon but I fear you may have to come up with a non-oem solution.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro bought the Hahn Co. - a few years back. I ASSUME it is the same company, you may try contacting Toro with that part number and see what if anything can be done. Good luck
Old 04-09-2006, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First, I'd try a Google search. If that doesn't turn up anything, perhaps you could change the wheel and tire together.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestions

finshinpa, extoro and steve45,

Just want you to know that I appreciate all the help provided. I didn't find anything at yesterdaystractors but I sent a request to them which hasn't been answered yet, and I'll look into the Toro lead. Who knows, they might have a storage bin somewhere filled with these tires. I had tried Google and seveal other search engines a number of times in the past and always came up empty. I did find a place called mayberrys.com which has some Hahn-Eclipse parts (and that of several other manufacturers if anyone is interested) but no tires.

That Hahn-Eclipse of mine has cut a lot of grass in its time, but I only use it now for some very steep hills on my property, slopes I wouldn't attempt cutting the grass with any sit-upon mower. fishinpa is right in that I should have dumped this mower decades ago, but every time I went to look at something to replace it with, I decided that what I already had was better engineered and constructed and therefore did a repair instead. Must be some kind of a disease I'm afflicted with, but I guess a lot of us have that problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF
fishinpa is right in that I should have dumped this mower decades ago, ...
I NEVER SAID THAT! I SAID: I was "respectful for your not throwing this by the wayside".

PS: "I think" it took me about 30minutes to find that minuscule lead, really hoping it would help you. There must be a big collectors market for that stuff. I found people selling supposedly "original" cutouts of advertisements from magazines and newspapers for that mower and other Hahn-Eclipse stuff.

The link I put up was for someone that said he had "a parts manual for about anything Hahn-Eclipse has ever made". I did this because all the part numbers I came across for the Hahn-Eclipse suff had 6 digits. If you were to try and contact that person from that post 1:_ You could double check the pn (which is probably correct, I mean no disrespect) and 2:_I was thinking that if I had a really old machine, AND found someone who claims to have manuals for about everything that equipment manufacturer ever made... he's probably a collector and might have more info than just paper manuals.

I guess I could have mentioned that I also read along the way that somehow when Hahn originally folded up, Gravely wound up with "everything Hahn" so I am now very surprised to read "extoro" mention that Toro bought the name. I think it's wild that technology advances at a staggering pace, but everyone spends money to buy old company names, because retro is the "in" thing.

Just do me a favor and email or post pictures here of this beast when you get it back up-n-running. I have complete faith in you to "complete this mission".
Old 04-09-2006, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpa
I NEVER SAID THAT!
fishinpa. You're right, you never did. I apologize. My comment was really just a reflection of my own thoughts whenever I start to work on it again. But I'm not really doing much work on it now, just seeing if it still runs, and it did start up on the 3rd pull.

And you are correct about the fact that the part number should have had 6 digits. I dropped one when I wrote that first post. The tire number should be 330875. You have a good eye for detail. And I'll pursue farther looking for the guy who has the Hahn-Eclipse parts catalogs to see if he has parts and especially tires as well. Actually, however, I have the parts list, because I'm the original owner and way back in the '60s the manual that came with such equipment included not only an itemized list of every part in it, but an exploded-view diagram of where everything fit. It's a pity they don't do that with lawn equipment sold today. I've browsed through a lot of the posts on LawnSite.com, and I get the impression many of the members like to work on their own machine rather than take it to a dealer, and therefore I presume they would appreciate having the kind of data I got with my purchase 40 years ago.

You asked for a photo, so one is provided even though it doesn't seem to me to be an item of beauty. The blade on this machine is driven through a pulley, which is a bit unusual for a walk-behind mower. I consider there to be three advantages of that design. 1) the blade rotates at a higher rpm than if bolted directly to the crankshaft, 2) there's no danger of bending a crankshaft if the blade hits a rock, and 3) the housing is down very close to the ground in the front which makes it easy to get under shrubs, etc..
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2006, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Man, that is a thing of beauty to me. I can respect engineering and they just don't make 'em like that any more.

I'm glad we're off on the right foot now and really don't think "that guy" will have parts... but I hope he can give or lead you to a source that eventually leads to "The mother-load of sources".

Are those rear wheels "keyed"? It's hard to tell from the photo you initially put up. If they are not, you could possible go to those "bicycle" type tires and save yourself a few pounds.....

Again... she's a 'beaut, and I wish you the best of luck! PLEASE be sure to find this post in a month or a year (however long it takes) and let us know how you made out. I for one, really will want to know.

I can see your from NJ... if you ever find yourself coming over to Bucks County, PA... drop me a line. Maybe you can take a few minutes out of you journey and we can meet in person???
Old 04-09-2006, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpa
they just don't make 'em like that any more.
That's about the way I feel about it.

The wheels are not keyed to the axle, and it's a design I had never before encountered. Whether it's unique for this particular machine only, I can't really say, but as far as I know it is. The engine has a vertical crank shaft which drives a pulley which in turn transfers motion to the blade pulley through a belt. But the engine also has a horizontal power-take-off shaft which drives a horizontally oriented idler shaft through another belt-pulley system. There is a clutch handle on the right handle bar which allows the idler shaft to engage-disengage the belt on these pulleys, and that's how the engine is connected to the wheels for the self-propelled feature. Now comes the tricky part. The idler shaft also has a sprocket which drives another spocket on the axle through a short chain (looks like a bicycle chain and it probably is). The hub of each one of the rear wheels rides on the axle through what look like needle bearings, but these bearings are unlike any others I've ever seen. They allow the wheel to rotate in one direction but lock the wheel from turning in the other direction. So when the engine is running and the clutch is engaged, the axle drives the wheels forward. If you want to make a turn, the outside wheel will go faster than the other. If you want to stop going forward, squeeze the clutch handle, and that not only does it, but it also allows you to pull the machine backwards. And of course, when the engine is not running, you can push the machine forward irrespective of what position the clutch handle is in. If you're interested and give me an email address, I'll send you a PDF of the exploded view that shows all of the parts.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF
That's about the way I feel about it.

The hub of each one of the rear wheels rides on the axle through what look like needle bearings, but these bearings are unlike any others I've ever seen. They allow the wheel to rotate in one direction but lock the wheel from turning in the other direction.
In case someone may be interested, I dug out one of those "needle bearing" assemblies which allow the axle to be driven in one direction but turn freely in the other, and took the photo shown below. Hahn-Eclipse called it an "Overrunning Clutch". It has a Torrington part number RC-101410, and there are a dozen of the little rollers inside of what looks like a bearing race.
Attached Images