Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Story and I am sticking to it.

My name is Brad I have a Lawn and landscaping company in Indpls Indiana.I started when I was 16 years old doing a few lawns here and there for extra cash to buy WHite Castles because I was a fat kid LOL.I started out of a hatchback mustang.I have always done it all myself with helpers never sent crews on there own.I always have kept my company small to give quality and never changed for quantity.I now work with 1 chevy 1500 4x4 a 5x14 foot single axle trailer with 2 foot mesh sides.1 36" scag with jungle wheels 1 36" ferris 1 commercial lawn boy push mower 3 srm echo trimmers 2 handheld blowers by echo echo stick edger 1 lesco push spreader.I do mowing to pay the bills and landscaping to buy the toys I do new home landscaping from the grading to the landscape install.I sub out the grading have the sod delivered and so on.So just a little story about where I have came from and where I am. So to the new little guy with out the big trailer and truck it can be done without.You use deliverys meet people in your areas just think outside the box.I mow 38 residentials 1 commercial and landscape the other 3 days a week.Also I have been doing this for a while and still don't get 1 thing.There is a guy in my area and no kidding here he has a dodge ram a massive Big Tex trailer and he pulls 4 dixie choppers and 4 ferris walkbehind mowers on that trailer and it is him and 1 guy yes 1 guy.I don't get it what you need all that for?SHOW?lLooks good but so does that extra 400 dollars a month in gas my pocket.So thats my story and I am sticking to it.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see it all the time, folks loading up the entire store between truck and trailer, as if you could fit it first of all, nevermind the wasted fuel but it also takes a lot of time fooling around with the equipment at the site to get what you need OFF.

When I'm cutting grass, I have the 48", the weedeater and the handheld, sometimes the backpack. Leaf rake and tarp always comes with but that's about it.

Same with mulch, all you see is barrow, 10-tine pitchfork, the landscapers and a garden rake. (+ leaf rake and tarp)

I'm so anal, I don't even carry fuel cans onboard (more so because I got tired of watching it boil in the sun), thou I do carry a quart of mixed fuel in a recycled oil bottle just in case, and a syphon hose so the truck can refuel the Wb in a pinch (and it actually works the other way around too, believe it or not).

It's a lot easier at the site, your gas mileage is better, the truck looks clean and last but not least, less stuff can get stolen...
Not that it happens a lot, but less stuff gets damaged in transport and while loading / unloading as well.