Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

foamy oil

ok before i start i just want to let everyone know what i did was stupid. everyone can hold off on the "you shouldent have done that" responses.

but i've read on chevytalk.com that if you pour a little bit of water down the throttle body or carburator on a car it will steam clean the upper engine. i've done this on my truck with success.

ok so i dug out the lawn mower today, kawasaki engine, i put gas in it and cut the lawn. after, i poured a little bit of water down the carb, put a new air cleaner on it, and let it idle for 5 mins or so. then i shut it off. i came back to it a couple hours later and check the oil level. the oil looked like milk. so i got pretty nervous and changed the oil 4 or 5 times. the oil dosent have water in it anymore and it runs smooth. but, it 'seems' to be making a little bit of a knock at idle. it goes away in the upper rpm's. i'm not sure if the knock was there before becasue i've never listened to it careful enough. i had my neighbor whos a mechanic come over and tell me how stupid i am. after that i started it up for him and he said it 'sounded normal' and that was probably just the way the engine is.

so my question is, how likely is it that i did damage to it by running it with a little bit of water in the oil for, say 10-15 mins???
Old 04-22-2006, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"probably" no damage, since you got the bad oil out quickly. but you'll never know how many hours of life may have been taken off the engine.
water injection is an old speed secret, even Edelbrock had a water injection unit in the early 90's. but its just a fine mist, worked well in the days before knock sensors to control detonation. i surely wouldnt just pour water down a carb. assuming it does "steam clean" the inside of the engine, where do you think the crud goes? probably where you dont want it.