Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

New Exmark

I just got an 2004 LZ23KC604 that has 57 hours on it. The exhaust manifold stud is broken off on one side. Is there any way to repair it short of replacing the head?
Old 04-30-2006, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remove either the whole engine or just the head and take it to a machine shop they can drill it out and heli-coil it if need be. But that is something that needs to be done by someone with experience because if not drilled center could mean a new head.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have a guy out here that has something called a "destructer", at least thats what he calls it. some sort of like a plasma cutter. i once brough him a $5000 aluminum part, with a broken off stud, and a broken off easy out in that. i got it back like new, even before i heli-coiled it. he's a small tool and die job shop, he says they are somewhat common in them. and rob is right, this is no job for a first timer. if you cant find someone with the tool i said, PM me, i'll call the guy and find the exact name.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Member

That's basiclly what I have now. drilled, with easy out broken off. Easy outs should be outlawed!

I you do not mind, try to find out what that tool is called cause I have never heard of it. Also, maybe the shop's name, phone number, and address, cause I may end up sending it to them if I can't find someone local to do it.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

did some checking, and the guy has retired and closed his shop. call a good automotive machine shop near you and tell them the problem. they will either be able to help you, or tell you who can. just dont fiddle with it anymore.
and theres nothing wrong with easy outs. i have a drawer full of them, there are different sets for different applications. you just need to learn which one to use, or when to take it to an expert first. and how did the bolt break in the first place?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spymaxx
That's basiclly what I have now. drilled, with easy out broken off. Easy outs should be outlawed!
Thats why I don't and never will own a set of easy outs.

I broke a head bolt off in my small block Chevy I was rebuilding for my truck, Forgot to chase the threads before assembly. I took it right back to the shop that done the machine work and let him deal with it, The guy got it out and wasn't going to charge me but I made him take a 20 because it was worth it to me not to have to monkey with.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
and how did the bolt break in the first place?
Well, you see, I bought this 04 60" with 57 hours on it from a home owner that was moving to Florida for $4200. The only thing wrong with it was a bent discharge shoot, burned out light on the light kit, two scratches on the sun shade, and I did have to put the collapsible roll bar/light kit/sun shade back on the mower. He had to remove it because it would no fit in his storage building. I was changing oil when I saw the muffler was loose and noticed that one of the studs was missing.

Even if I have to replace the head, its still a good deal.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, by the way, Thanks for checking on the shop for me! I may get lucky and find someone locally.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.cammann.com/
this is the company that makes them. they may be able to tell you who has one in your area.