Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2000, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>I did a good bit of renovation last fall and had good succes to. It was real late when I did it, but I still turned out good and its really filling in nicely now.<p>I just had one area that didn't fill in at all. The soil was real bad, a lot of clay and a lot of stone. Plus the site is in shade of a big hanger building for about 95% of day.<p>Its along the road and about 300 by 30 ft. I power raked it, leveled it, and then seed and strawed. The straw ended up completely blowing off in about a week. Its weird, but the area is like a wind tunnel between two large hangers. A real mess.<p>I used a contractors mix for seed, but also mixed in some compact fescue for added durability and shade tolerance.<p>Any suggestions on what to do. Price is not much of a issue now. I was thinking about skim coating with top and then reseeding and using penn mulch (a LOT of penn mulch) or even maybe using curlex (stuff works great and guaratees good results). Any suggestion for best seed. <p>Also, I've thought about sod. The site is leveled, so I could probably just get away with rolling sod out right now. Just wonder how the shade would affect it. A note, the site is not irrigated.<p>Thanks, steveair<br>
Old 04-04-2000, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are going to sod cut why would you round up first. Just and extra step and expense. If you use round up our local turf professor at the UofK said that you could slit seed 2-3 days after using the round up. No need to wait.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 04-04-2000, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>In response to my own post before, not to sound arrogant......., I just got done talking to a representative from PBI gordon who came down to discuss a growth regulator program. <p>After talking about the regulators, I asked him about the area I needed to redo. He suggested a product called Launch. Its a biostimulant that will help to germinate the seed. He gave me the complete rundown on it and it sounds good. He says the spot would be a perfect site for a 'trial' run.<p>I have heard of biostims, but never have used them so was gonna see if anyone else has. It sounds like it is worth a shot. <p>For 2.5 gallons, it costs around $50 and covers up to 15k sq ft. Sounds reasonable. Considering the options, I'm gonna give it try. He's faxing the info over later and gonna have his supplier drop off a bottle in a week or so. Maybe this is a solution to my problem.....<p>steveair<br>
Old 04-08-2000, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IF YOU ARE IN A SITUATION WHERE YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO GIVE A PREMIUM PRICE TRY A SKIDSTEER WITH A BOXRAKE, YOU CAN RENT OR SUB THIS OUT. DOES A GREAT JOB FOR TOTAL RENOVATIONS. THIS IS NOT CHEAP BUT IT GIVES TRUELY PROFESSIONAL RESULTS