Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2000, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Member

After monitoring this site for awhile I finally took the plunge and bought a Exmark Metro 48&quot; for home use. Initially I used the hi lift blades but switched to the Exmark mulching blades. I'm not quite as satisfied with the cut. Since the grass is growing so fast is it too early to be mulching? I get clumps when I make my turns and have to either go over them again or use my blower to scatter them. There has been numerous discussions about double blades, will the Metro power double blades? Would that improve the cut and eliminate the clumps? <p>I would appreciate any info you could share. My yard looks the best it ever has and mowing is no longer a big deal.
Old 04-06-2000, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you use the mulching kit with the mulching blades, or what? The mulch blades work best with the mulcher baffles and block off plate.<p>Bill
Old 04-06-2000, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm impressed that a homeowner actually went out and bought a real piece of equipment. One of my neighbors just went out and WASTED over $1500 on a Crapsman rider. He could have taken less time to mow with a quality Walk Behind. As for your question, I never like the gator or mulching blades, whether for mowing heavy grass or leaf pickup. Thats on my 60 inch ZTR and my 36 inch WB. Go with the high lifts.
Old 04-06-2000, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner also and I bought a Scag Turf Tiger 61&quot;, 25 HP last fall. I hear you about a Crapsman and all that scrap metal they sell at Home Depot and Lowes. No sense in buying something that's gonna fall apart. (Plus there's something about having the biggest, badest machine in the neighborhood.)<p>I'm gonna go out and buy hi-lifts this weekend after monitoring this forum for the last few months. I been weighing whether to use hi-lifts or gators with my mulching plate. <p><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are the man Tom. All your geeky neighbors will be sitting on their riders they bought from Lowe's while you will be on your second beer watching the football game of your choice on Saturdays! Also you know that yours won't fall apart.
Old 04-06-2000, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments.<br>The '99 Metro is supposed to be convertible to a mulcher w/ minimum changes.But I just put the mulching blades on and made a blocking plate. I think I will go back to the high lift blades and try the mulching blades after the growth slows down. The Exmark replaced a Crapsman Yard Scalper and a 21&quot; push mower.
Old 04-06-2000, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm another home owner who bought a real mower. A used Ferris Pro Cut 32 61 in. I am replacing a 1965 cub cadet (46 in) I looked at the stuff at Sears and accidentely bent the fender checking to see if it was strong. That was it.
Old 04-08-2000, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Me too - Home owner with a Scag 48&quot; belt-drive walk behind (see my earlier post in this forum). A lawn tractor would require too much maneuvering on my 2 acres with lots of trees, and I wanted something that would last. My Scag will probably last forever with once-a-week use.<p>Can't wait for the grass to grow!<p>tip184