Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2000, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Greetings to all. <p>About a month or so ago there was a post regarding safety, with the emphasis on blades. I read most of the replies and made a mental note to be a little &quot;extra&quot; careful when replacing the blades on my mowers, to make sure &quot;this never happens to me&quot;. <p>Well, to make a short story sort of long and drawn out, yesterday I took the blades off my riding mower to inspect and sharpen them. When I went to put them back on I put them in place and hand tightened the mounting bolt. Then I got the ratchet and prepared to tighten them up. I had the deck raised about 4-5 inches, which was enough to see under and work comfortably to install the blades back on. I put the blade lever in the engaged position to keep the blades from freely spinning while I snugged up the bolts, the I went ahead and finished the job.<p>After I had completed the rest of the work on the mower I turned on the key and gave the rope a pull. (being a small time operator, I haven't installed electricity in my machines yet!) She started right up, but ran kind of funny, like it was missing. Then I realized, I had not dis-engaged the blade controller! That could have been very dangerous! Then, just as I shut it off, there was a clunk from under the deck. Apparently, when I put the blade on it was not perfectly centered on the spindle, and when I tightened up the mounting bolt I had tighted the blade up to the bottom of the spindle, rather than properly placed over the spindle. Once the mower started, off it came. The engine probably never got up past more than an idle, but let me tell you, that was one perfectly balanced blade. It sat there on the cement floor spinning on its mounting bolt and washer, just like a top, for nearly a minute before I was able to stop it. Had I been a bit closer to the deck, or had it hit a stone or tool on the floor, it would have had no problem going thru my shoe. <p>Moral of this story is, even if you are safety concious, double check yourself and take a couple of extra seconds to make sure things are right before you consider the job finished.<p>Brad
Old 04-07-2000, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thus the old saying, sh@#####t happens!<br>It can and will at one time or another, I felt my trailer bump a little one day, got out to check it and the latch was not down. Luckily I had just pulled out of my driveway, I don't even want to think about what might have happened had it come off going down the road.<p>Homer