Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2006, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
My site here cost me $500 a couple years ago to have designed and $8 a month for hosting. I pay like $5.99 a year for the domain name.
It's in the ballpark, 3 / year or 6 / year for registration... When I was new and originally registered another domain of mine, I paid close to $20 / year for that, so as long you're below $10 / year I can't see worrying about it much.

With design, cost varies a lot and is one reason why I went the DIY method, mostly because you can never be too sure with designers if you're getting your money's worth. There's no standard, there are no specific guides or rules telling anyone how much to charge other than they have to get paid for hours of brain-draining work, too... And, it is a LOT of work, one simple page can take an expert 20 minutes to put together, that's if everything they need is on the hard-drive ready to be put into place and they already have the template or some layout of code to work with... Think of 5-6 pages at 20 minutes each and we're into several hours, thou to design a page from scratch is another story entirely and can easily take several hours to an entire day and then some.
To collect the content... I took a year to do that, once I had everything ready it still took about a week or so to put together 6 pages and get the domain registered and all the bs taken care of until I could type the domain into a browser and BLAM!
So, is 500 too much? That's the problem, nobody knows for sure, the industry is still for the most part, unregulated.
So long you're happy with it, I'd say the price was right and leave it at that.

Last edited by topsites; 05-09-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another business I have been involved in for some time now is domain name registration and web hosting plans. Many of my customers are from people like you and I ... the working Joe so to speak.

Domains are inexpensive, and you can get a really decent hosting plan for $3.95 a month. Once you get into it ... it's all really pretty simple.

Click the graphic above to visit my domain site. Visit my Prestige Landscape Management site also, to see the page I have created for my lawn care business.

Email me if you have any questions ...

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products