Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Death And Termination

GREAT TITLE HUH?
LET ME EXPLAIN, I WORKED FOR A LANDSCAPE CONTRACTOR WHO HIRED ME AS HIS OPERATIONS MANAGER.
MY MOTHER-IN-LAW PASSED AWAY ON A MONDAY AFTERNOON, COMPANY WAS NOTIFIED VIA OWNERS CELLPHONE THAT I WASN'TGOINGTO BE ABLE TO WORK FOR A FEW DAYS. OWNER SAID "FAMILY FIRST". ON TUESDAY PM A TOW TRUCK SHOWED UP AND TOOK AWAY MY COMAPNY VEHICLE. i CALLED TO OWNER AND ASKED FOR AN EXPLANATION AND HE SAID "YOU DIDNT COME TO WORK TODAY AND I HAVEN;T BEEN ABLE TO REACH YOU ALL DAY. I AGAIN EXPLAINED AND REFRESHED HIS MEMORY FROM OUR CONVERSATION THE PREVIOUS NIGHT. HIS RESPONSE "MAKE A CHOICE WORK OR FUNERAL"

WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE IN MASSSACHUSETTS

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
MIKE

Last edited by NHLawncare; 05-02-2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: SPELLING ERRORS
Old 05-02-2006, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to F off. Family IS #1 I don't care what the profession or amount of money. I have instilled this in my children since day one and is a shame not more feel this way.

There are other jobs. And you could certainly cause him some severe inconveinence by taking him to court but that would ultimately take you to his level and I don't think you want that.

I am sorry to hear of you and your wifes loss. But this just may be the kick in the ass to get you out on your own...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where in NH are you? Just come work for me
Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLawncare
GREAT TITLE HUH?
LET ME EXPLAIN, I WORKED FOR A LANDSCAPE CONTRACTOR WHO HIRED ME AS HIS OPERATIONS MANAGER.
MY MOTHER-IN-LAW PASSED AWAY ON A MONDAY AFTERNOON, COMPANY WAS NOTIFIED VIA OWNERS CELLPHONE THAT I WASN'TGOINGTO BE ABLE TO WORK FOR A FEW DAYS. OWNER SAID "FAMILY FIRST". ON TUESDAY PM A TOW TRUCK SHOWED UP AND TOOK AWAY MY COMAPNY VEHICLE. i CALLED TO OWNER AND ASKED FOR AN EXPLANATION AND HE SAID "YOU DIDNT COME TO WORK TODAY AND I HAVEN;T BEEN ABLE TO REACH YOU ALL DAY. I AGAIN EXPLAINED AND REFRESHED HIS MEMORY FROM OUR CONVERSATION THE PREVIOUS NIGHT. HIS RESPONSE "MAKE A CHOICE WORK OR FUNERAL"

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
MIKE
Piss him off and try to file for unemployment.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLawncare
GREAT TITLE HUH?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
MIKE
Look into the federal family medical leave act. It might not apply depending on how many employees.
Do you really want to work for a guy like that?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, you work for quite the large company if your email is correct, something like the 3rd biggest construction company in NH...Doesn't seem fair that this happened.
James