Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2006, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Illegal Labor

All,

I jusst found out that a large local high end landscape installation and maintenance business is using a large amount of illegal labor. How are they doing this? How can they get away with paying as many as 100 workers under the table? How can they avoid the IRS? What do they do when one of them gets hurt on site? I can't believe that I am busting my butt just to find out that my competition is cheating me.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ripper
All,

I jusst found out that a large local high end landscape installation and maintenance business is using a large amount of illegal labor. How are they doing this? How can they get away with paying as many as 100 workers under the table? How can they avoid the IRS? What do they do when one of them gets hurt on site? I can't believe that I am busting my butt just to find out that my competition is cheating me.
Then report them to the INS hotline 866-347-2423. If your not offering a solution by calling the hotline then your part of the problem.

Bill
Old 05-14-2006, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ripper
All,

I would guess they aren't paying them under the table but rather they have SS cards and ID. He sends SS and withholding to goverment and probably has insurance on the workers. When the gov finds that a SS number is false and notifies the company then he better let the guy go. The gov doesn't have the will or maybe even the technology to sift through 13 million cards and detemine if they are bad. Just think how long it would take for the gov to determine that someone is using you SS number, assuming the only thing they did with it was dump money into your SS account? I guess we will find out Monday night what is going to be done about all this mess.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
I would guess they aren't paying them under the table but rather they have SS cards and ID. He sends SS and withholding to goverment and probably has insurance on the workers. When the gov finds that a SS number is false and notifies the company then he better let the guy go. The gov doesn't have the will or maybe even the technology to sift through 13 million cards and detemine if they are bad. Just think how long it would take for the gov to determine that someone is using you SS number, assuming the only thing they did with it was dump money into your SS account? I guess we will find out Monday night what is going to be done about all this mess.
I am a programmer and I know I can search over 50 million ssn's in less than 1 minute. It has more to do with Congress allowing the INS to access the Social Security Administration computer systems.

I saw a story the other day where one company was using the same ssn several times and the Social Security Administration sent the company letters several times about the duplicate ssn's. They finally fined the company. That company knew they where bogus and Social Security Administration knew they were bogus so you had a bad company and lazy Social Security Administration playing games with breaking the law.

Bill
Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

According to a local paper some company would pay one legal worker all the money then he distributes it it to the rest of the workers. Another guy used his childs SS number since he was born in the US. Another was using a SS that belonged to some grandmother in Kansas. It will take the INS a little while to sort through all the ways that appear to have been used.