Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2000, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well JK I don't know if this is where you want to start, but I'll weigh in with a few thoughts.<p>I use Exmark Lazer Z's, Toro Z-Masters and Exmark Turf Tracers.<p>On the Lazer/Z-Master: <br>Do Like: Most everything.<br>Needs Improvement: The outboard anti-scalp rollers need to be on castors or at least pivot side to side. When turning they dig up turf if you're not careful. The 24x12x12 drive tires have too sharp of a shoulder causing undue turf damage when turning. The old-style &quot;peanut&quot; 23x10.5x12 were much more kind to turf. I'd also like to see an aerator attchment available for those machines.
Old 04-06-2000, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely Pro-150 50&quot; Beltdrive- I have had this machine for 2 years now and I have a few complaints. The springs used to control tension on the wheel drive belts appear to be on the light side and break easily. I replaced the first one at 6 months. The deck frame is also an odd arrangement and so weak that it bent causing the back of the mower deck to drag the ground. The mower deck itself is an old design (dateing to the early 70's at least) and has difficulty cutting all but under the optimum mowing conditions. The caster wheels use a single sided yoke that bends easily. The handle bar grip mounted safety switches lasted about 3 months. On the plus side the shifter lever is mounted in a very convenient position and the reverse lockout works very well making it difficult to accidentially shift the trans into reverse.
Old 04-06-2000, 06:38 AM

Lazer, interesting comment about the outside gouger wheels on your Lazer. Had the same problem with mine until I made them into castering design. Work fine now. The distributor asked me for pictures of my casters after he saw them in use. Those pics made it back to Exmark, so who knows what will happen. It was funny as hell though, I was at Louisville last summer, raggin on the Exmark tech types at the outdoor booth about lack of casters. One of them made the comment, &quot;Oh yeah, some guy put casters on his, we have pictures of them at the factory.&quot; They started paying attention when I told them that was my machine and I had built the caster assemblies.
Old 04-06-2000, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Alan props to you, that's how things get done.<p>I know a guy who modified his this winter to be like that, too.<p>I know the guy who first took a Toro 52 GroundsMaster and built the carrying frame so the deck could float and you could change HOC easily. They took pictures and all Toro 52, 62 and then 44 and 36 use that exact design. Never paid him a nickel other than an all expense paid trip to Hawaii.
Old 04-06-2000, 09:37 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One thing I didn't like about the Dixie Chopper was the way they had the spring to keep the OCDC open. I came up with a modification for it and the place where I put the spring works great. I like the OCDC open except when I go between flower beds and other mulched areas to keep the clippings from shooting into them. Now I can close if off and it automatically opens up when I let go and opens completely. I have sent this idea to Dixie Chopper and from what I've heard, they may start using it. Another complaint I had was the way the deck lifted. The front raised more than the back so it wasn't close to level at all times, but that has been changed now. They went to a 4 chain lift with heavier gauge chains. Any change that Dixie Chopper makes, they have a kit to modify the older machines, which is another reason I like their machines. I'm thinking of modifying the one old Chopper and getting a new machine to replace the oldest Chopper (1993). This is the only complaints I've had with Dixie Chopper, but they do continue to improve them. I am amazed that other companies haven't put OCDC's on their machines.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Eric can you make a link with the plans for the mod. OCDC,,,i do not like the spring setup but the cover is great,Thanks<p>Tim <br>Clean Cut Lawn Care
Old 04-06-2000, 07:08 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Tim: I added an OCDC page to my Website with a picture of the modification. I hope it helps.<br>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p><p>