Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-31-2001, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

T Bar or pistol grip on walk behinds?

Need to buy one for home use. Cutting about 1.1 acres, mostly flat. I don't have any experience with these "commercial" mowers, but would rather walk than ride...Health benefit and "sweat equity" for my boys who will be doing more cutting as I get older and fatter...

Which do you like-Tbar or grip? I like the Toro and Exmarks...
Old 05-31-2001, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are looking at a fixed deck, the Toro and Exmark are the same machine except for the controls. I prefer (as do my employees) the TBar. To be sure, you really need to demo both and make up your own mind.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my guys like the pistol grip, never had a demo on a toro, but from what i seen (lawns cut with them) it isn't worth getting a demo.
what to look for:
1. great dealer support
2. 48" full floating deck
3. horse power
4. how easy is it to maintain
5. price- reason being last is because if you only use this mower at your home every 4 days, you should NEVER have to buy another mower unless you choose to.

just a thought for you, i have a exmark metro hp 48" 17 kal. engine, i have never had a problem with the mower yet, 4 seasons, over 500 hours on it. never bogs down and runs like the day i bought i thome 4 years ago, but i do treat my mowers like their gold.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go with th t-bar you will love it.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Ahhggg! Now I know why you guys like to discuss the pros and cons of your equipment!

Went to the Exmark dealer during lunch. Looked at Metros and Metro HP's. 36 and 48's. Kawasakis and Kohlers. Decisions decisions...

Had a few questions today that didn't get asked because of time, plus since it was raining their seemed to be quite a few contractors in getting service...
I'm leaning toward the Metro HP because of the height adjustability. Now I need to decide on 36" or 48" deck. I have a small fenced in area with a 48" wide gate but I could cover that with a 21" mower. The rest of the ground is open.

Any ideas on deck sizes? How hard IS the fixed deck to adjust? Also, is the Kawasaki twin worth the extra $$$?

Thanks for all the help- this is very useful stuff!
Old 06-01-2001, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Danny, I struggled with the same questions as you. In the end, for me, the extra expense of the HP wasn't worth it. I cut approx. 18,000 sq ft with a ton of landscaping. So there are very few long runs, and a lot of turning. While the hydro would've been nice for reverse, it's not bad with the gears. I've cut mine 2 times now and haven't looked back. I haven't adjusted the deck since it came set at 2 3/4", which is optimal for my yard. I went with the 36", 12.5HP Kawi, $2300 plus tax and catcher. What I can suggest is that you demo the hydro and belt drive and then make your decision on ease of use vs. the extra cash.

Good luck

Last edited by alfabetsoop; 06-01-2001 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a Toro 36" fixed deck with 13HP Kohler for my own lawn, and love it. There are a couple of spots in my lawn where old trees used to be, and the ground is not flat. The fixed deck loves to scalp those spots, so if you have significant bumps, you may want to go floating.

Other than that, I absolutely love it.