Register free!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Best method for detecting a leak?

HI All,
This is a question about my Dad's system. The shutoff (ball valve) for the system is under the kitchen sink and Mom accidentally opened it a "bit" in December. She quickly closed it but it froze and blew a few holes the 3/4" copper pipe when I was starting the system this spring. I replaced that section of pipe and everything was OK, or so I thought.

My Dad was complaining that his pump comes on when no one is using water (they have low municipal pressure). Turns out if I close the ball valve to the irrigation the water flow at the meter stops . Something after the ball valve is leaking but there are no signs of water above ground. I haven't yet dug the line that leads to the solenoids to see if it is leaking (REALLY don't want to do that) but I think I would have noticed that by now. I am thinking maybe one of the solenoids could be leaking but not sure how to check. Any advice on this one, never encountered it before and my Dad is relentless with is phone calls

Thanks!!!
J.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Solenoids normally don't weep... basically they're either on or off. What may leak is a bad diaphragm in a valve. When this occurs "weep-by" will be the result and people often think that their sprinklers are leaking when off when in fact it's the valve. Water always seeks its lowest and fastest course of relief and will come out the appropriate sprinkler(s). Basically it's like having a drippy faucet.

If you're not experiencing this then there has to be a leak on the pressurized main line.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I noticed today that the curb zone had water leaking from one of the heads. I guess I'll just take the valve apart and see what's going on.
Thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely would be a good place to start. Good luck.