Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m beginning to see more Dingos out here all the time, and I’m beginning to get a wee bit jealous. However, I’m skeptical on how well the auger would work. Tried using an auger once on the back of a John Deere tractor to dig fifty 40 some inch deep holes for a greenhouse. Only could do a few, while all the others took a jackhammer to finish. I wonder if there will be a rock saw attachment for the Dingo or Bobcat?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Care
I wonder if there will be a rock saw attachment for the Dingo or Bobcat?
Not sure. Ours has a jackhammer attachment. It's worked great on concrete but I'm really not sure what it's limitation is.

Reminds me of the time I was working at Collier State Park north of Chiloquin. We were building an extension to our shop and had to dig into the hill to level the thing out. HUGE boulders!!! Used a highway department large backhoe with a BMF jackhammer to bust up the boulders. "Set the outriggers, start the hammerin' and sway with the banging."
Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering this for the irrigation business. Trenching and cover-up attachements for laying pipe, the bucket for moving dirt/sand, and I've heard guys using an augers for punching holes for valve boxes.

Our soils are "hardstine gravelly loam". Basically it is British Columbia's clay with lots of rocks and some sand from the glacier that rolled through a while back...

Am I nuts? Should I stick with the Brown trencher and some labor?

-Russ
Old 06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used the Brown trencher, but I can tell you that if you do irrigation installs, you will not regret getting a Dingo (or other quality brand). You don't need the auger for irrigation boxes. We use the trencher stood up at close to 90 degrees (almost vertical) to carve out box holes. Works perfect for the rectangular boxes. A six way blade would be nice for backfilling, but even using the bucket is orders of magnitude faster than doing it by hand. If you have the volume of work to keep it busy, you will not regret getting one.