Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2006, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

A cord a day

Trying to get a cord or so everyother day. Split and stack now for next winter...

Exmark Lazerz 44"
Exmark Lazerz 60"
Exmark Metro 21"
Old 05-07-2006, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Assuming you have a pickup truck already your in business for 500-1000 dollars depending on what saw you decide to purchase.

Locate a woods that was recently logged, ask for permission to cut up the tops, take your saw and your axe and cut.

1 face cord equals 12" wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long. It is easily attainable to fit 2 face cords on a fullsize pickup as long as you pack the sides and corners well.

It is important to identify your wood. People do not want a load of Poplar showing up at there door. It is also imporatnt to know which wood requires which time to dry. Delivering wet wood is a no no.

Never deliver wood with insects like grubs or ants and never deliver wood with rot in it.

Contrary to what some beliefs are here, there is decent money to be had in wood. Take a modest 4 cords a day (easily attainable by 1 person) a modest price (50 dollars a cord) and a modest 5 day work week (260 days a year) you will find your total to be $52,000.

Not a bad some of money for mainly cash deals, little start up money and no overhead!
Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I do not believe in taking tree tops after harvesting of timber. Yes, I do process the tree tops, but I find that simply cutting DEAD timber to be far more productive. If you can find land owners that have STANDING DEAD timber, then thats the route I recommend you go. For the record - more people get killed falling dead timber than falling green timber, as the saw vibrations cause rotten limbs to break off and fall. SO be very alert, and be very carefull when cutting standing dead timber.

I use a skid steer with forks to get the timber out of the woods. Very productive for me. I cut the timber to 14' lengths for hauling on dump truck (see pic). In the pic, there is approx 2.5 - 3 cords of wood that will be yielded.

I also have a John Deere compact utility tractor with a log splittel mounted to the 3 point hitch, which runs off the tractor's hydraulic system.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, there are serious amounts of money being used here!
I have not sold wood for a few years now, but do plan to do it again this year. I will try to cut a load or so each week when I start later this summer, most of what I sell is Red Oak, look at it cross and it will split. Dead straight grain. But also include White Oak and Hickory, if I find a dead one.
All we have ever used is a truck, a trailer, chainsaws, splitter and yes believe it or not a pole ax, sledge hammer and wedges. Splitter only recently made its arrival.
Used to get off work at 8am go to the farm cut a pick up load, split it and be in bed by 11am. Deliver it in the evening. Will be between 75 & 100 dollars load.
Use it for extra Christmas money.