Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2001, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Momentum advice/experience

Hey Guys-

Well, I took everyones advice on Clover control and bought a gallon of Momentum at my local Lesco. I am still deciding if I will use a hose end sprayer or pump...leaning towards pump. Regardless, I have a few questions that aren't clear or not on the label: (for reference, I am in SE MI with healthly bluegrass lawn with some clover)

- the label says 1.0 oz/gallon for spot treatment but the guy at Lesco said 1.5 oz and someone on here said 2.0 oz...I certainly default to the label but I know sometimes experience shows the labels to be conservative. Or these guys were quoting from the top of their heads.
- Best case, how long should be product be down before it rains?
- It has been cool here lately but it will heat up next week. Should I make an effort to get this down during a dry spell (if there will be one) before the heat comes?
- Since we are a bit later in the season, sound I expect a 2nd app within a certain length of time?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-01-2001, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

if your just a homeowner i don't know if lesco is even supposed to sell that strong of a herbicide to anyone without a aplicators license.but usually its middle of the road to mix 1.5 oz per gallon of water.kinda strong at 2 oz of chemical per gallon of water.no rain or irrigation for atleast 24 hrs.and just buy a three gallon backpack sprayer to spray with.they come in handy if you ever need to spray fruit tree's or round up on something.backpacks aren't to expensive. good luck w/ the clover....p.s. just wet the weeds,don't soak they.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
You can kill turf at over an oz per gal if you lay it on thick and
it stops raining.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will stick with 1oz/gal in one of my 2 gallon sprayers.

Should I add some type of surfactant? Maybe just a couple drops of dish soap?

Looks like it could be sometime until it stops raining everyday here in Detroit...geesh...cold too.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The recommended label rate is 1.1 to 1.3 ounces per 1000 square ft. In other words you need to know how much you sprayer will treat. Once you know that you can properly mix in the chemicals. Read the label, it will give you very specific instructions.
Old 06-02-2001, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

well i've sprayed quite a few lawns here at about an ounce and half of chem per gallon of water and i cover the lawn pretty good,and with the over night temps kinda low around 45-55 and alot of rain lately,maybe every two or three days we'll get an inch to an inch and half of rain.and i'm pretty sure i'm covering about 1000 sq ft per gallon.and the kill is really slow,maybe a week or two later the yellow heads are curly but not burned up.clover looks dinged but not dead.i'm sure its the cooler temps slowing things down.so when the temps start climbing and rain slows down i'll still hang around 1.5 per gallon.
Old 06-02-2001, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to do two things for sure to use liquid pesticides properly:

1- Read the label, SLOWLY. Just because you see 1 oz, or 1.5 oz, or 20 oz, what does the rest of the sentence or phrase say? Is the statement x.x oz per gallon or x.x oz per 1000 ft². Most all labels will give the rate per acre and/or per 1000 ft², and some labels will give a rate per gallon for spot treatment. If it is a per gallon rate only, for spot treatment, then mix as stated for spot treatments.

2- On the other hand, if it is a rate per 1000 ft², you have to calibrate yourself on the sprayer you will use. I may get 500 ft² per gallon, you might get 650 ft², and someone else may get 900 ft² on the same sprayer. The pesticide for each of us may thus be mixed at different rates per GALLON in order to achieve the stated rate per 1000 ft².