Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Help making a mailing list

How would I make a mailing list to inform customers on specials and promotions. Would it be in PHP, Java , Plain HTML, Ajax, Python etc. I am stumped cannot figure it out. Mysql integration too. I am stuck.... Any coding help would be appreciated. I have intermediate HTML and minimal PHP Java

Thanks Ahead,
Old 06-01-2006, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Just do a google search theres hundreds of examples and scripts out there
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, but I am stumped have basic/minimal PHP. I tried tons of them.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh well THAT kind of mailing list is easy, just do it the old-fashioned way and save yourself the headaches. I think it was you who PM'ed me and I am thinking you wanted to collect fresh customer email addresses, a subject which I will not touch due to possible spam issues (No, not saying you're a spammer but it's just a touchy subject, anyway)...

Now the old-fashioned way, you just ask your customers if they have an email address and write it down. If they ask, tell them about the specials you will be sending out etc... Ok, then you use Outlook Express to build an address book by making a special folder just for those customers. Now when you build your email, make sure to always put all their addresses in the BCC box of the email (BCC stands for Blind Carbon Copy) so then none of your recipients sees the other ppl's email addies. Then, click send

I know it might be cooler or neater to do it a more modern way, but that's the way I would do it myself in this case.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah but say its for a dealer..... Not saying that it is .. But the barter system is my friend. They may have lots of people signing up so that might be hard. That also may work just have the email sent to mailinglist@........com and add address to book. Seems simpler than php crap. Or maybe a online address book I know how to make those. Maybe a live address book synced with Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2006, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just thinking along the same lines, in Outlook you can:
File > Import / Export > Address Book

Of course, that's the whole thing, may not work for those important contacts you want nobody else to have...
The only other thing I found costs $250... And there's no guarantee, might as well look for the free so if it doesn't work...

Then there is this but the intro and the Web site are in french which makes it difficult enough, but the program is likely also written in french (the code would be the same but you'd have to change all the stuff displayed to visitors over to english)...
But if you know french, it might be the ticket...
http://gregory.kokanosky.free.fr/v4/phpmynewsletter/
(and it loads SLOW)

Here's a translator:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Last edited by topsites; 06-06-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The easiest thing for you to do would be to just store the addresses in your regular e-mail - most e-mail programs (AOL, Hotmail, Outlook) come with an address book. Don't give yourself a headache trying to look for easier solution when you already have one that will work Also, if you use say Outlook, you can also store their addresses and stuff and then export that information into Word to make address labels should you ever want to do a direct mailing
Old 06-11-2006, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I use oneandone.com for my web hosting. If you buy the business hosting package (really cheap), it comes with all the tools you need to do this automatically and a lot more. Easy to use, easy to configure, easy to set up to work with your website.

There are probably lots of web hosting companies out there that have a package designed for business users with the same features.
The problem with not charging enough is that you will attract the cheapest customers who think that anything is too much. Your customer list becomes a Who's Who of the bottom of the barrel. You become the guy that your competitors refer the customers they don't want to.