Register free!

Old 07-07-2006, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

The Age and thickness of this tree could be a problem. Trees and other plants grow by a process called geotropism which means they grow towards the sun and are also affected by gravety. If the shoots are growing down and parralell the problem is the tree is too thick and it has no sunlight to grow towards. The branches that are growing out are trying to find the sunlight and the ones growing down are being pulled there by gravety. I would thin the tree out in the fall to Early Spring to filter sunlight through there and see if that works. This would be my guess knowing the age of the tree and knowing most bradford owners this tree is not well maintained.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

If you lopped off the main vertical branch the tree will throw up water sprouts in attempt to compensate near or at the cut. Other cuts will produce the sprouts as well. They are typically weak wooded branches and should be pruned before they establish. Should never prune more then 25% of the tree at any one time. Not sure where you are located however the bottom branches are there to protect the trunk from sunburn, be selective about how much you remove from that area but eventually you will want to force the branching up and off the bottom of the trunk

Always remove cross branches, always remove branches growing towards the interior of the tree, always remove dead wood. The art of directing future growth depends on the where you make your cut on the branch. Concentrate on vertical branches that are 90 degress to the trunk or more.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

again too many good trees to use to try and save a bradford....dogwood, sourwood, crapemyrtle....the list of good replacements is long ....give em something they'll enjoy......stewartia would be a great one....in my book anyway.

visit http://poketynursery.com/index.asp
Old 07-08-2006, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well this tree is still real small, smaller than I've previously encountered.
It's around 5 ft tall is all.

It came up wild in a bed area.
It's a bradford or cleveland or one in that family.
I can't tell them apart really except I can pick out the Bradfords as they mature.

The property owner wants to keep it, shape it up and attempt to transplant/relocate it at some point.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 07-09-2006, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

better move it now then.....

visit http://poketynursery.com/index.asp