Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2001, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

fixing busted sprinkler lines?

As a was enlarging a customers bed in a new development I proceeded to bust three sprinkler lines that were at best 3" under. I fixed then with metal pipe,teflon tape and those screw strap thing a-ma-giggers. I wanted to know the correct the way to fix these lines and is it typical for sprinker companies to run lines less than ten feet from the house.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never, I mean never use galvanized pipe without a non- conductive material (brass) between poly pipe, PVC, or copper. Why? Any time you use Galvanized with any of the before mentioned material, you get electro analysis. On my last job, I wished I took a picture when I took of the faucet> they would freak out at the corrosion.

You didn't mention what kind of material the pipe is. If it was PVC, they make many type of repair type material. My favorite is the repair coupling. Other types, if you do not use or want to glue are the compression couplings.

If you have a home base or home depot around you, they carry these types of repair couplings.

John

Myself, if it's a riser, I use the cheap cutoffs, though never on a new install. A bag (30 pieces) of cutoff nipples are around $4.
John
Old 06-11-2001, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it's poly pipe you use a barbed coupling and crimp clamps. If it's schedual pipe then you use a pressure coupling.

Electrolisis only occurs with metal to metal contact. If you go plastic to metal there is no problem, other than the fact that you are making life difficult for yourself.

Good Luck,
Jim L
Old 06-14-2001, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greens1

Electrolisis only occurs with metal to metal contact. If you go plastic to metal there is no problem, Good Luck,
Jim L
Jim
I wish I had taken a picture of this yesterday. At least in my area electrolysis will happen. They had used a galvanized union to connect two schedule 80 nipples that where too short. The union was corroded big time. So I have to disagree with your above statement. Salt air may not be an issue with you, but in our area it is. No harm done.
John
Old 06-14-2001, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks fellas

I didn't want to glue because I can't get the area very clean. I did go to home depot with a piece of the tubing. IT was black,maybe 1 1/8 inch pipe, seemed very cheap. They didn't have any of the pressure couplings you are talking about which I wanted. The only thing they had was the metal pipe. If this is most likely going to leak I guess I will go back and dig it up. Gotta love those simple jobs that turn into a nightmare.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When in doubt you can always go to a whole sale supplier like Ewing, Normac or greenmark they have the right stuff to fix it. (What ever it is) It sounds to me like the repair you did won't last long and will most likely start to leak (No offence)
Old 06-14-2001, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John,

I believe you may be confusing oxidation with electrolysis. There is a link below that describes electrolysis in detail.

http://www.multimedia-sa.gr/olympic-...rolysisen.html

Salt, or any conductive medium, can cause oxidation. Electrolysis is the result of a reaction between dissimilar metals, not pvc or plastic. You could also call your local plumber and cheak with him or her.

Jim L
Old 06-15-2001, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what i do,,,,,.... main lines or station lines . expose the line , cut the line . install expanding slip coupler, works every time.