Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2001, 11:28 PM
Banned

starting trouble...

My new 36" exmark metro is giving me a hard time starting in the morning. Needs a good 10 or 12 pulls to get it going. After that it's fine and goes on the first or second pull the rest of the day.
Just started doing this last week. It's less then 3 months old.
I know I can take it to the dealer, but just thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has any input. Anyone?
Old 06-16-2001, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like the choke isnt fully closing.Pull the air cleaner and give it full choke,look inside at the butterfly in the carb throat,it should be fully closed.If it isnt,adjust the cable so it closes fully,but also make sure it opens fully when its is off.If you havent checked the spark plug in a while,pull it,and replace it,or clean,and regap it,as the gap gets bigger when it wears,it gets harder to start cold,as the coil has a harder time jumping the bigger plug gap,especially on a cold engine.Good luck.
Old 06-16-2001, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with John totally,look at choke,or in the choke position loosen the screw holding the thottle cable and see if you can pull it then tighten there
Old 06-18-2001, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

What engine do you have in your equipment? If it's the Kohler you may have a choke that is hanging up. The Kohlers have a spring loaded choke that acts like a choke pulloff when the engine is started so as not to die before you can take the choke off. If this is hanging up (take the air filter off and look down into the carb with the choke in the on position and the plate is not all the way seated) you can get a choke repair kit from your Kohler dealer to repair this problem.