Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2001, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimmer string keeps breaking off in head!!!

I bought me a new Husqavarna weedeater and the string keepes breaking off in the head when I edge with it! I switched from 105 to 95 line thinking it might be getting twisted or the 105 might be old and brittle. I tried winding it fast, slow, with my finger dividing the line. It trims fine, but when I turn it upside down the string breaks off inside the head. And today, it seemed like one line would break off in the head and then the other line would shortly. I'm going through a spool real quick and having to stop every fifteen feet to reline is about to push me to the limit. I felt like chunking the thing today. Do I need a new head or what? (fixed line, single, auto feed) If this keeps up I'm going to buy me a stick edger sooner than I planned.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

This used to happen to me a lot. I found that I was " crowding my work". Meaning that I had the trimmer to close to the object, causing the string to bend when it was against it. When the string clears the object it straightens out again. When this happens over and over it will break the string (or melt it sometimes, sticking to the other string inside, depending on the brand). Just get the string close enough to cut the grass and no more. You need to do this against trees and other plants to avoid damage. Try slowing the rpm's also.

Wisdom is justified by all her children
Jesus
Old 06-19-2001, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get an Edger that's what there for. Weedwackers arent the propper tool for edging. Just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the eyelets maybe too"sharp".things to try- different grades/sizes/namebrands of string, different head, alter string length and angles. experiment. good luck. Dave g
Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

herbert's farm

Can new guides/grommets be installed in the trimmer head? I think that is what is breaking my string. also, is there a way to wind string on the head so that it will not ge pulled under itself and refuse to self-feed. I try to wind it evenly like fishing line, and keep it separated by my finger but still have this problem. Any advice?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
This used to happen to me a lot. I found that I was " crowding my work". Meaning that I had the trimmer to close to the object, causing the string to bend when it was against it. When the string clears the object it straightens out again. When this happens over and over it will break the string (or melt it sometimes, sticking to the other string inside, depending on the brand). Just get the string close enough to cut the grass and no more. You need to do this against trees and other plants to avoid damage. Try slowing the rpm's also.
Since there's no visual aid (such as video) to further illustrate what exactly is happening, I'd have to agree with Ricky on this. It's a common flaw in some people's edging/trimming technique that can cause lines to break rapidly.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

agree with Ricky. Usually when string melts on me, it's the cheap kind. I need to stop buying that stuff. Also, lowering the rpms, and not going too deep is good advice.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe ther line you're using is old and brittle. Try soaking it for about 24 hours in a bucket of water. Just set the entire spool down in and make sure it is totally submersed. It works wonders at restoring brittle line, and many line manu's recommend doing so.

Also, make sure you don't wind the line too tightly. Don't leave it loose and sloppy on the spool, but many guys wind it too tightly and have feeding and breaking issues with it.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some times the trim line from some sources is simply brittle. Usually the Echo cord does well but I agree with one poster that you are not cutting with the tip of the cord. While I don't like the speed head seldom does the cord break off with those heads. Don't know why but they seem better. And get the guard off it makes things worse.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wd

Wind it up and spray some WD40 before you assemble it, works for me.....