Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2001, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

major tuneup timee

hi guys. i have had my craftsman 6.5 eager 1 mower for about 3 years, it is used pretty often (not at commercial level YET) and has never had any work done to it except maybe one oil change and blade sharpening. i am not very mechanical inclined but would like to be, i do have friends including my moms bf who is pretty good. i would like to give it a tuneup. what all should be done and how?i want this thing to last as long as it can, it runs great, starts on first pull. but i know without proper maintenance it wont always. also how about for my craftsman curved shaft weedwacker and handheld blower? they dont run so hot and weedwacker has black thick oil coming out the back, not as bad now as at first though. the major project will be my 22 year old craftsman 16 hp tractor. i ahve changed oil, and air filter and that is it. i have had it for two years, and prior to that it sat for the last 15 years, was only used for first 5. every now and then they would do a little bit of work to it i think. they thouhght it was a piece of junk and sold it to me for $250 with a 44" deck, and brand new snow plow. it runs pretty darn good, burns a little oil, but starts on first turn of key, even after sitting for 3 months it started with a few trys!!! i want to get this thing perfect inside, and out. what should i replace, what should i change, what should i clean etc etc etc. it is a very strong tractor! also anyway i can make it go a little faster? even though its strong it is so darn slow. my grandfathers 12 hp 15 year old johndeere is almost twice as fast.
Old 06-21-2001, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

u mean no body knows the answers or can helP?
Old 06-21-2001, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scottie: With regard to the tuneup question, changing oil/filter/plug(s) covers most of the bases. As far as tuneup specifications go (plug type/gap, oil type and capacity etc) that depends on the make and model of the engine itself, best bet would probably be to try and track down that info through a dealer/repair shop or possibly the engine manufacturer's web site.

On the subject of the tractor, I would stay away from making any major modifications. Replace what's "broke" or "don't work" and leave the rest alone. The speed (or lack thereof) is a function of the gearing in the transmission and will require MAJOR SURGERY to alter, again best bet is to live with what you got!

Hope this helps a bit, without more specific info it's hard to answer the questions except in general terms.