Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PREMIER LAWNCARE - my little league business

Hello all...

I've been a member here for 4 years, but all that time was spent just researching and mostly homeowner questions. I am a career firefighter in metro Atlanta and needed something to supplement my income. I've worked mostly two FT jobs with the second being on an ambulance. Also spent a few years working for another FF running heavy equipment. Anyway, my wife quit work last fall to stay at home with our 2 yo daughter and HAD to do something.

Three weeks ago, after ALOT of research, hesitation, and procrastination...I started my business. I bought a new Hustler mini-Z 52"/19, a new Stihl 110 combi with edger and using the Stihl trimmer and handhelf blower I had. I use my 5X10 trailer and my Tacoma truck with door and tailgate magnets. Many are probably already thinking I am a scrub, but I hope not.

I've only got 6 accounts so far, but getting GREAT feedback from customers and neighbors. Two of the six accounts are from neighbors who were pleased with my work. I advertise as much as I can, and have alot of word out from friends, family, co-workers and other LCO's.

My short-term goals are to do GREAT work first of all, upgrade trailer, purchase BP blower before fall leaf season, and continue to grow. I've gained a tremendous amount of information from this website and other LCO's. One of them is also a member here and has a large business in West Georgia and has been a TREMENDOUS help!!

Anyway, this website is GREAT, and the members are even better. I have an awesome dealer that is very supportive of his customers which has been a great help.

Y'all keep the information coming, and keep up the great work.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck this year.
It is difficult to take the plunge but if this is what you want to do stick with it, and the clients will come.
I am also a FF. Volunteer not career. In my area we do not have any paid departments. But I think that it is going to change pretty soon as the volunteers in the area can't afford to live here anymore.

Jason
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

If the customer is pleased with your finished product, you are on the right track.

I have always looked back at the finished "product" to make sure it meets my own high expectations, never skimping on those extra touches.

Keep up the good work.

Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

best of luck in your new business, always remember that you can and should go the extra mile when it comes to customer relations, it will pay off exponentially. (that is not to say work cheap or do tons of extra stuff for free, but if you are walking to the house, roll the trash can up with you, or carry the newspaper to the step, etc., takes no extra time but makes them realize you are a thoughtful, considerate person) hope you do really well!!

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

BP blowers kick azz!! the best thing for cleanups but not worth running on your regular residential mowing route as they use more gas, are more powerful than you need and take longer to start (sometimes) good luck with your biz!!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 06-06-2006, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a little update.

I've now got 10 regular accounts. Along with that I also do a school system with a fellow firefighter that takes a full day and pays really well. Picked up another account today from a neighbor across the street from one of my first account. They admired my work and liked that I was there "regular", unlike their current LCO.

I also purchased a Redmax 7001 blower, trimmer trap racks and hoping to upgrade truck and trailer next year. Just trying to get everything payed off as soon as I can, hopefully early to middle of next season.

Thanks for the help. I usually spend about an hour on this site each night trying to learn and get some pointers/tips.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good things come to those who don't wait around dreaming !! GO FOR IT!!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

what equipment do u have
Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

mcwlandscaping what equipment do u have
Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like your already upgrading and moving up. Congrats on the business! Do great work and you shouldn't have many problems picking up new customers.