Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2006, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Suggestions on new skid steer(S300 or simliar)

I am looking at purchasing a new skidsteer loader. it will be used to clear ~20 arces of underbrush and small pine trees and then get the land ready for pasture. I am looking for 1 machine that can do the most work. I know an excavator would be better to remove the trees, but I don't care if it takes alittle longer with one machine.

I am looking at a bobcat S300 gold package, standard controls, high flow, with steel tracks,
rotary cutter, root grapple.

I would like to get opinions on this set up as compared to other brands, sizes of machines,etc... I can afford the price of a tracked machine.
I would like to eventually find a used mulching attachment to clear the thicker trees out.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Western NC
Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Steel tracks SUCK. Get a track machine if cost is not a limiting factor, even if it is a Bobcat
Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any complaints about steel tracks and since it doesn't sound like this is a commercial operation I don't think I would spend the money on a tracked machine. We run the CASE 95XT with high flow cab AC and ride control. They can do a large amount work. You may want to demo one and see what you think. A 90XT or 450 same machine 450 is the latest version would also be fine for what your doing. The 450 is a radial lift the 95XT or 465 is a vertical lift machine same machine other than lift geometery. Extremely well built, they may be a little over built for what sounds like a hobby farmer.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

How does the bobcat compare to a Cat or Case in quality of design/build ability to do heavy work and cost.
The machine will be for personal use, but I do use the equipment as designed and sometimes beyond the design limits.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you in the mountains of Western NC? If you're going to be working on sloped terrain you may want to give more consideration to a track machine IMHO.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As far as cost the 465/95XT will be more money. CAT does not make a 3000 plus R.O.C. machine until you get in the tracked machines. If your talking Bobcat and CASE you will find the CASE will be more heavy duty, more power higher ROC. It would be highly unlikely that you will be able to push this machine beyond its engineered limits. The cab in the bobcat is better. The CASE cab has been improved on the 400 series but the cab on the Bobcat is still better. For the type of work your doing either machine would do fine. I would demo both and see which you prefer.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help.

Brian Moore
Old 08-16-2006, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss
CAT does not make a 3000 plus R.O.C. machine until you get in the tracked machines.
This is a huge bummer, but I gotta tell ya man, even though I love our Cat service, if CASE service is worth half of what my Cat service is and we need a 3,000 ROC skid steer and CASE releases a good pilot control system, I'd look into it. Then I'd drive to Idaho and buy you a beer

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be happy to drink it. We'll invite qps from Indy after he gets himself a CASE track machine and will let him buy all the beer.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When the day comes to replace our 216, it's going to be a tough decision, our service is just too good from Cat. But, that doesn't pay the bills, CASE will definately be in the running for a replacement, you have my word on that. I'll at least give them a shot to bring me a demo and see how they size up.

QPS is just mad because his 304CCR hasn't shown up yet and his 257 is in and out of the shop. Just think of it this way, it could be worse, you could have a basically new 312 sold out from under you (thanks dad...)

Go hard, go fast, or go home