Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2006, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Damn, this sounds like what mine did. I assumed (after a tune up kit) that it took a dump......threw that sumbi*ch in the trash. It was only 2 years old. Bought a new one....oops...hope the wife doesn't read this.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try lighter line...As the Clutch may be wearing. I've used the .105, and personally, I like the .80 or .90 WAY better than the thicker stuff for grass. Give me the .105 for a weed clean up though.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have used .095 all of the last 4 years.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lines

make sure the lines are clean. Grab the the fuel lines and stretch them a little bit. You will see an "alligator skin" appearance and should see small perferations in the line.

Usually syptoms of the fuel line problem is it will start and run. Will die down after a couple seconds at WOT. If you let off , you will be able to throttle it up again and it will died down again. It won't necessarily die out all together though. If it does, it will usually restart right away.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger
Mine is doing the same thing and its only a year old. It takes forever to start. I have to keep messing with the choke and throttle at the same time to get it to even run, once its warmed up it doesn't seem to have the power it use to.
I had this same problem and it was a check valve in the gas line.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I fixed it. I replaced the long fuel line and rebuilt the carb with the 10 piece $10 Zama set that the carb manufactuer makes. All the parts I changed seemed fine, the spring was maybe a bit soft but the screen didn't seem clogged. So I think the problem was the fuel line, since the same day I saw fuel dripping off it was the day it stopped working, but come to think if it I had to throttle up the idle speed a few weeks back. So maybe it was a combo problem.

Anyway it works, $12 and some on the job training saved $200-$300 on a new trimmer. Ya I just spent the $2 on the fuel line I didn't feel like explaining the echo recall to the guy at the shop who found the $10 Zama rebiuld kit for me instead of spending the $40 on the echo rebuild kit (what a rip.)
Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
No, I am waiting to see what happens next because mine has been doing this since March....

Finally left it with the dealer to have them replace the coil because that's under lifetime warranty.

If that doesn't do it, new carb is next.

oh yeah, I run 080 but I run loooong line and frequently tax the power issue, this thing about the line causing undue stress is bs but you need to adjust your throttle on your finger, if it won't go full rpm then reduce throttle pressure until the rpm's are as high as they will go anyway... But if you did not do this, it just pumps too much fuel through, burns ineffectively and causes exhaust clogs, again you said you cleaned the port (you could see the piston, right?) but I ain't never had any problems that I don't see other people having who supposedly don't do this, so it's bs.
I would be surprised if your dealer replaced the coil. Coils are not the first item to replace when you have a performance issue. The fact you left the machine at the dealer for a coil replacement and then say you will r&r the carb if that did not fix the problem reveals you lack of understanding of the operation of the equipment. Check the carb first.

Sometimes I wonder just how much you pay attention to what you say. The fact that an engine does not perform at its optimum speed under load is a primary cause for the buildup of excessive carbon on the spark arrestor and subsequently the exhaust port.

These are facts not opinions or as you put it, bs.. After cleaning a few thousand of these and helping customers determine the correct line length for the diameter best for their engine size we stop seeing the problems associated with slow under load operation.

It was good to see that Lawncuttinfoo got his fix with some simple maintenance on the carb and fuel system. Maybe you should take the cue and do the same.

Happy cutting.