Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper blowing fuse

Restrorob, this one's for you.

I have not recieved the mower yet, but have been told what it's doing. It is a 1999 chopper with a 25hp kohler. I will post the numbers when I get it. He said that when he is mowing, the fuse blows every maybe 20 mins or so, and it shuts the mower down. I know I ave some electronic testing to do. My real question for now is, he asked a service guy about the problem at the local dealer, and he said that the stator is going bad casuing the fuse to blow. What do you think....

Thnaks in advance

Steve
Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bow to the man from Hole in the Woods when he arrives but I might add my two cents. I'm not real familiar with Choppers, but to my recollection they don't use an electric clutch and if that is the case one possible problem is eliminated. As you indicated, I would check out the output from the charging coil. I recently worked on similar problem and found coil fried. When I asked the customer if the unit had been jump started with a running automotive engine, he indicated that was the case. In my judgment, when you do this you back feed the system with upward to 55 amps which can cause such effect.

At this time, the only other cause that I could come up with is a bare wire grounding to frame somewhere.

Dutch
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK Steve, One question for you ! When the fuse blows can he pop a new fuse in jump back on and start the unit right up and continue mowing until it blows again ?

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob
OK Steve, One question for you ! When the fuse blows can he pop a new fuse in jump back on and start the unit right up and continue mowing until it blows again ?
Yes he can and he said it takes about 15 minuts for it to blow again.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since you know the suspect branch, owing to the fact that you know which fuse is popping, then pull one circuit at a time from that branch and see which one is drawing a heavy current load. Yes/no?
Better yet; you have a wire schematic, right? Do you have a clamp type inductive-couple DC current probe and DMM? Clamp it on each circuit power feed, one at a time and read the current. When you find the one that draws 20A or what ever the fuse rating is that pops, then you have further isolated the problem.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I would check is the ignition switch, Un-plug it and check for rust on the "B" spade on the switch and inside the connector plug. This spade does get warm while running and moister from the air and getting wet from rain will cause rust, Then a bad (weak) connection thus causing more heat when running and eventually burning the contacts inside the switch causing a short until it cools back down.

Although it could be a shorted stator I would tend to think once the magnets come loose and tear the stator up it would produce a perminate short instead of a intermittent short. I have seen many stators wiped out and fuse not blow and the unit still run fine until the battery voltage dropped so low it would not activate the fuel cut-off solenoid any longer and shut the unit down.

So cutting through the bull I suggest checking the switch first.

Take Care

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob
The first thing I would check is the ignition switch, Un-plug it and check for rust on the "B" spade on the switch and inside the connector plug. This spade does get warm while running and moister from the air and getting wet from rain will cause rust, Then a bad (weak) connection thus causing more heat when running and eventually burning the contacts inside the switch causing a short until it cools back down.

Although it could be a shorted stator I would tend to think once the magnets come loose and tear the stator up it would produce a perminate short instead of a intermittent short. I have seen many stators wiped out and fuse not blow and the unit still run fine until the battery voltage dropped so low it would not activate the fuel cut-off solenoid any longer and shut the unit down.

So cutting through the bull I suggest checking the switch first.

Take Care
Thanks for the info Rob, I'll get it this weekend, I'll let you know