Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Should mowpart.com take "Spanish Phrases for the Landscape Industry" book off site?
Yes, Take the book off the site 14 33.33%
I don't care either way 6 14.29%
No I believe if used properly it should be made available 22 52.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

mowpart rep

Deverias dar el libro gratis like a (free brochure) a todos los que compremos partes y accesorios de tu negocio, pero en cambio quieres hacer mas dinero $ 24 dollars eso no suena nada bien,bueno espero tenga suerte con sus ventas , by the way do you have any english books i need to upgrade my vocabulary, and try to learn more english bcos my spanglish some times dosen't come to good . thank you.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll buy one if you lower the price. Online book purchasing doesn't command Barnes and Noble pricing.

How's that?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowpart rep
This book is one of the best tutorials for SPANISH TO ENGLISH on the market. Give it to your LEGAL non English speaking employees and see what happens. It is expensive however it is well worth it. As for all the controversy I am amazed! What an eye opener! Since we at mowpart.com want to better serve please continue to speak up. It is greatly appreciated. If enough of you want us to take the book off our site we will do it. Remember we want you to feel like it is your site and we will cater to you!!!
Hunh???
Your thread title is "Spanish Phrases for the Landscaping Industry", which reads as "Learn Spanish so you can talk to your non-English guys about work"... to me anyway, and apparently many others.

So it seems that our outrage and your bewilderment is due to your not-so-clear original post.

If this book of yours will help Spanish-speaking employees communicate better by learning some English then I am allllllllll for it.
I hope you sell them by the truckload.
Alternatively, if the book is meant to teach us how to talk to them in Spanish... then I hope your headed to hell wearing gasoline soaked underwear.

Last edited by Dashunde; 08-18-2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coney12
HEY Fiberboy01
just because they speak spanish,doesnt qualify them as being immigrants

edited: no name callingjodi
Well, Mr. Name Caller, you sure are making an ASSumption.

I have no problem with an American CITIZEN who speaks Spanish.

dvmcmrhp52 pretty much summarized my opinion. I'm sick of anyone and everyone who continues to kiss the rear-end of illegals, spanish-speaking or otherwise.

You can sit and bellyache about how "it's not going away, live with it". That kind of attitude will not get the problem fixed, ever. I'm not going to live with it, and it will continue to piss me off. Not so much the illegals themselves, I can't say I blame them.

It's the people in a position to correct the problem who make me the most angry. Because they're sitting and watching but doing nothing.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Sponsor

Thread Title Confusion

The thread title is confusing. It is the name of the book. That is why I made it the thread title. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time I will try to be more clear. This book works equally for learning English or Spanish. So far the poll is 4 against the book , 2 don't care, and 7 say it's ok to sell it if it is used properly. I like this type of debate I believe it is healthy to express different opinions. Friendly debate is one of the best ways to learn and reach new understandings.
Thanks
russell
"We are here to help"
Old 08-18-2006, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zima
Deverias dar el libro gratis like a (free brochure) a todos los que compremos partes y accesorios de tu negocio, pero en cambio quieres hacer mas dinero $ 24 dollars eso no suena nada bien,bueno espero tenga suerte con sus ventas , by the way do you have any english books i need to upgrade my vocabulary, and try to learn more english bcos my spanglish some times dosen't come to good . thank you.
oh my god. well i hope lawnsite dosent turn into wal-mart. every sentence will be translated into spanish and then like at wal-mart we have to flip the box around 3 times to find the english version .
Old 08-18-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickco
The only phrase I need to convey to any non english speaking person is go away. Employee or not,you cant walk the walk if you cant talk the talk.
I was surprised to hear on the world news this summer of some of the people we have deployed in Iraq and Afganistan that are not US citizens. They do however speak Spanish and fight for this country. They will become citizens when the time comes. No complaints. Provided they make it back. They want to better themselves and their families. BTW these people are bi-lingual, if they can learn a language to better themselves, why can't we learn one to better our companies? There will always be illegals and troublemakers. I wonder if anyone keeps stats on Americans doing the same thing? My son was a linguist in the service and I have a 7 yr. old grandson that is fluid in Chinese, Cambodian, English and now is learning SPANISH in school. I wonder if he would understand the reluctance to learn a little Spanish.
I know we are flooded with illegals but the great thing about this country is our ability to adapt. I see nothing wrong with the book.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a better idea........

Why don't you buy a whole bunch of "English for Dummies" books and sell them whole sale.

This catering to people who can't speak English crap is out of control.

You know what the worst is? It's bad enought you have to talk to automated services when you call anyone, but now i have to push a button to talk english!!!!! WTF????

Part of being a US citizen is learning the language. All you companies that hire illegals are only hurting yourself, especially if you get caught.

Make them learn english.
Make them become a citizen and pay taxes.
Make them perform their civic duties.
Make them teach their children the same.

I know Spanish and took 6 years of it in school. Although I can't speak it fluently, plus i'm really out of practice....I can understand what people are trying to say.

I have alot of guys who come in my shop that don't speak good engish, but I refuse to speak spanish because I feel like I'm fueling the fire. The only advantage is that when they just can't say what they want in english, I can understand spanish enough to help them, then I tell them what they need in english. Surer than ****.........next time they come in, sometimes they actually remember!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by befnme
oh my god. well i hope lawnsite dosent turn into wal-mart. every sentence will be translated into spanish and then like at wal-mart we have to flip the box around 3 times to find the english version .
free speech

edit reason: language

Last edited by Charles; 08-18-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Speak english or walk away from me