Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2006, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Georgia Pestiside Application Study Material

I am new in the Lawn/Lanscaping Business and I am about to register to test for my Georgia Pesticide License this comming October. To be sure I pass, I am going to request study material. They have a two parts to our test and you get to choose your second part. So, if I am basically applying fertilizers and weedkillers to lawns, my major category test should be Ornamental and Turf, correct.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I want to make sure that I get the right materials. I am hoping that someone here with the Georiga License can chime in and give me more details about the test, best place for study materials, and such.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's the one that you need. I took the pest test at a local college- it was part of the Hort degree program. I don't know if the study material will be the same or not. The general knowledge part is not very bad but the turf & ornamental part was tough. But as long as you know the book you should pass. I was a little disappoited in the whole program and test because it didn't tell you what chemicals to use to deal with the pests- just what the pest is so you can search and find what to use. No biggie though- it was a good learning experience. Good luck.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, it figures I would be right, and the study book for that section is the most expenseive ($25). You would not know of any other plave to get the material other than the state program at UGA, would you. I have looked online and I cannot find anything. If I am going to get it from UGA, I better get the request in the mail so that I can get it with about a month to study.
Also, do you mail in your pllication before your test, turn it in with your test, or do you have to get your results then send you application. Nothing I have read from the state is very clear on that, unless I missed something.
Thanks, I will let you know how I do.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I took it I was at school so they took care of everything. The only thing extra that I had to do was give the instructor a check for $25 to cover the cost of the test. I guess this was the fee that the state charges you to take the test. If you don't pass the test they will reimburse you for the $25.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dont you need a degree or something to be eligible to take the exam?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive123
dont you need a degree or something to be eligible to take the exam?
Not at all. Anyone is eligible to take the exams and receive an applicator license.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

in florida you need an a.s. degree and 2 years with a company. Do you know if that goes with the household pest control as well?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to your county agricultural Office. They have videos they will lend to you to help you study for your test.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

jr and tadams, how do you like the n ga area? we are moving to cartersville or waleska/canton area. No more outside work for me ill probabally change careers.
Ive done pest control for 17 years in fla. I will either go with some sort of sales or home depot. Not really sure.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive123
jr and tadams, how do you like the n ga area? we are moving to cartersville or waleska/canton area. No more outside work for me ill probabally change careers.
Ive done pest control for 17 years in fla. I will either go with some sort of sales or home depot. Not really sure.

I love the North GA area,I actually live in Cartersville- wouldn't want to live anywhere else- except for this D@%$ heat & humidity. It's a couple hours to the mountains where you can go snow skiing, about 6 hours to the redneck riviera ( Panama city Beach ) that has the most beautiful beaches in the world . 25 minutes to Atlanta for anything from strip clubs, comedy clubs, dance clubs, the biggest aquarium in the southeast, six flags, the zoo, museums, some of the best food in the south, the Braves, the Falcons, the GA bulldogs. There are several lakes around here that you can go boating, swimming, fishing, and camping at- you name it we've got it. If you move here PM me or e-mail me and I can tell you the best places around town.