Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what is the best prevention control for sod webworms

I've been seeing the adults zig zagging in the lawns in the evening. is there any organic application you can use to prevent sod webworm damage? i have DiPel DF with the active ingredient bacillus thuringiensis. this won't hurt other soil life, right? but it is labeled as a pesticide even though it is a biological insecticide. so is there any all natural, no epa number prevention i can put down without having to worry about pets and children rolling around on the ground after the app?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe nematodes would take care of the problem. Not positive though. I know they work wonders with grubs/flea's/ticks, to name a few. Not sure on sod webworm but I would think if the nematodes are hungry enough I"m sure they'll eat them also. I"d like to know personally also.... good question!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

they do take care of sod webworms

i forgot about nematodes. they will take care of sod webworms if the larvae is present. they need grubs, webworms, etc...to release their bacteria and then use the body to reproduce. my understanding is if the insects are not present the nematodes will die. i would say if the adults are zig zagging around lawns they are laying eggs right? so maybe wait two weeks and then apply nematodes?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

They say to apply during a rainy day or cloudy. I'd say the best time would be to apply after a core aeration. I would think it would be easier for them to get into the ground faster, but hey its just a theory. Next year I"m gona be offering much more nematode release's compared to this year. This year it seems that I have absolutly no grubs at all. Kinda weird I think but then again its not the end of august or begining of september so we'll see.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2011.html

Confirming Sod Webworm Activity

The surest way to tell if you have sod webworms is to find a suspected area of infestation (brown patches). Get down on your hands and knees, take your two index fingers and part the grass blades in the area between dead and live grass and look for an area with small green pellets. The pellets, called frass, are the excrement of the larvae and indicate that a larva is close by. Sod webworm adults are about 3/4-inch long, cigar-shaped and buff-colored moths. They typically roll their wings around the body when resting on a grass blade. Two small snout-like projections are visible at the front of the head.

The adult moths fly mainly in late June and again in mid-August though some species may be present any time during the summer. Seeing these moths fly up while mowing or walking around the lawn does not confirm that damage is, or will be done by the larvae. The adult moths can fly considerable distances and may be coming from other infested areas.

If you still suspect sod webworm activity but are unable to find the larvae or their frass, use a soap disclosing drench. Simply mix up two gallons of tap water with two tablespoons of liquid dishwashing detergent. Sprinkle this mix over a one square yard of the affected turf. Within a couple of minutes, the flesh-colored, spotted larvae will wriggle to the surface. If you get 10 to 15 larvae in a one square yard of turf, treatment is warranted.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Steinernema carpocapsae (Sc) nematodes are wonderful for this pest. If you see the moths, put them down now. We put ours down in May, and don't have any worries the rest of the year. They also work on Billbug this way. Many ants and fleas too. Don't seem to get any beetle grub either, although Hb is recommended for them.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineNaturescapes
Steinernema carpocapsae (Sc) nematodes are wonderful for this pest. If you see the moths, put them down now. We put ours down in May, and don't have any worries the rest of the year. They also work on Billbug this way. Many ants and fleas too. Don't seem to get any beetle grub either, although Hb is recommended for them.
So you put down an application in May for billbugs, sod webworms, fleas, ants, and grubs? Do you advertise it like this to your customers? Do you put down another application in August for white grubs or do the nematodes from May control them?

I put them down this year for the first time. Can't wait to see the results, but am a little worried. We have high clay soils, and some customers didn't water the nematodes in i think. I know you are supposed to water before and after application, but it is tough to get customers to do this. When applying in May doesn't the summer heat kill off alot of the nematode population?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

nematodes
where r u buying them?
Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've heard many places

gardens alive
biconet.com
integrated bio controls
Old 08-23-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

frass

[QUOTE=NattyLawn]http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2011.html

Confirming Sod Webworm Activity

The surest way to tell if you have sod webworms is to find a suspected area of infestation (brown patches). Get down on your hands and knees, take your two index fingers and part the grass blades in the area between dead and live grass and look for an area with small green pellets. The pellets, called frass, are the excrement of the larvae and indicate that a larva is close by.

Do you have any pictures of the green poo? Is it a dark green pellet?