Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2006, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
Sawman said they were easy to diagnose if you had the equipment and software and I was really wanting to know what you need and what it would cost. Part of the reason is the dealers around here dont want to fool with them so I was also checking if price of the equipment might be the reason. I'm sold on EFI as soon as I can get someone to work on it around here. It was a heads up serious question. I was thinking you needed a code reader and he said something about software and I'm wanting to learn since carbs will be obsolete in a few years. Thanks..
My dealer which I will see at church in a few minutes says it takes one $300.00 piece of diagnostic equipment and that is it . That is not a high dollar piece of equipment, I just think a lot of dealers don't want to put forth the effort to get involved and they are going to have to some where along the line. I no they realize this is the top technology or I think they do and they may as well bite the bullet and learn how to work on them, my dealer said he had not had to work on enough efi's to even remember if he had or not other than change a few relays and this is not the efi's fault.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
My dealer which I will see at church in a few minutes says it takes one $300.00 piece of diagnostic equipment and that is it . That is not a high dollar piece of equipment, I just think a lot of dealers don't want to put forth the effort to get involved and they are going to have to some where along the line. I no they realize this is the top technology or I think they do and they may as well bite the bullet and learn how to work on them, my dealer said he had not had to work on enough efi's to even remember if he had or not other than change a few relays and this is not the efi's fault.
I tend to agree with you. They don't want to put forth the effort or money. I talked to one dealer (Toro) about them and he said he didn't know but they sure did start and idle good. I left feeling he had never worked on one. Good to hear from you puppypaws.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I tend to agree with you. They don't want to put forth the effort or money. I talked to one dealer (Toro) about them and he said he didn't know but they sure did start and idle good. I left feeling he had never worked on one. Good to hear from you puppypaws.
I'll tell you one thing Tacoma the speeds I was able to cut at earlier has changed. I was cutting dry grass that was not growing and I could fly through it, now we have gotten rain and the Crab grass and Signal grass cuts like baling twine
and it has slowed me down probably 20% where I was cutting at 15 mph I can now only cut maybe 11 or 12 mph and it is pulling the guts out of the 28 efi. I'm really sold on the efi from the experience I have had with mine but I sure would take some more HP like maybe a 35 efi if Hustler would build it for me. I mow pretty low but I have noticed the problem you mentioned with not as clean a cut when you have to cut higher, I wonder what would remedy this situation do you think the turbulence is causing a problem? It seems to me if the grass was standing up and you have sharp blades turning the same speed when you are cutting lower it should cut it just as clean up higher, this is a little baffling. I wish Hustler would tell us what they think might be happening to cause this, I'm putting the kit under my deck this week just to see if there is a difference.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I'll tell you one thing Tacoma the speeds I was able to cut at earlier has changed. I was cutting dry grass that was not growing and I could fly through it, now we have gotten rain and the Crab grass and Signal grass cuts like baling twine
and it has slowed me down probably 20% where I was cutting at 15 mph I can now only cut maybe 11 or 12 mph and it is pulling the guts out of the 28 efi. I'm really sold on the efi from the experience I have had with mine but I sure would take some more HP like maybe a 35 efi if Hustler would build it for me. I mow pretty low but I have noticed the problem you mentioned with not as clean a cut when you have to cut higher, I wonder what would remedy this situation do you think the turbulence is causing a problem? It seems to me if the grass was standing up and you have sharp blades turning the same speed when you are cutting lower it should cut it just as clean up higher, this is a little baffling. I wish Hustler would tell us what they think might be happening to cause this, I'm putting the kit under my deck this week just to see if there is a difference.
I have noticed my Hustler does not cut real good high on St.Augustine grass. The way the front is designed if you raise the deck up you are going to lose alot of vacumm. I think this would cause a majority of the problem. For me I like the mower the way it is,I bought it to blow out big properties quick for smaller ST.Augustine I use Mid sized walk behinds for going for quality. For the kind of cutting I do I never take a ZTR as a serious high end cutter for my lawns. When it comes to high end work I find the modern ZTR to be a turf tearing pig that likes too scalp. This is for the cutting I do, all areas are different and require different machines to be efficient.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
Every time I looked at a Dixie deck it looked like thin junk to me. That was the main reason I never bought ,I could see myself with a hammer beating it out on a regalar basis.
Nope, it doesn't happen. Dixie's top plate section is as thick as anybody's and if you're hitting stuff hard enough to bend 10 ga sides then you need to learn how to operate a mower.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Nope, it doesn't happen. Dixie's top plate section is as thick as anybody's and if you're hitting stuff hard enough to bend 10 ga sides then you need to learn how to operate a mower.
That may be true about me operating the mower but they are mine to do with as I please but at least the decks I buy appear to be able to take a good shot like that unlike a junk Dxie deck. Like I said I looked at Dixie in the past and took one look at the cheesie deck and said no thanks. I have not really looked at them seriously since I just walk up to them take a few glances and say gee all the parts appear not to quit fit right.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think he's right puppypaws

Quote:
I have noticed my Hustler does not cut real good high on St.Augustine grass. The way the front is designed if you raise the deck up you are going to lose alot of vacumm. I think this would cause a majority of the problem. For me I like the mower the way it is,I bought it to blow out big properties quick for smaller ST.Augustine I use Mid sized walk behinds for going for quality. For the kind of cutting I do I never take a ZTR as a serious high end cutter for my lawns. When it comes to high end work I find the modern ZTR to be a turf tearing pig that likes too scalp. This is for the cutting I do, all areas are different and require different machines to be efficient.
I think it's the front lip of the deck causing it to loose vacuum on taller grass. They sell a piece that goes all the way across the front of the deck to help with bagging which would also give it more lift. I'm waiting for some one else to figure this out for sure before I put any more money in the mower. My cut is not terrible but not great at 3.5" to 4" I mow side by side with the Exmark to make sure and the Exmark side each blade of grass has been stood up (by the lift of the deck) and cut even while the hustler has blades of grass that are sticking up higher than the rest. If you go over a dip it is very apparent that the Hustler looses all the suction because thats where you see alot of grass cut very unevenly. Pj gave me the part number for this baffle on one of the Hustler post but I don't have it with me at this time.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I think it's the front lip of the deck causing it to loose vacuum on taller grass. They sell a piece that goes all the way across the front of the deck to help with bagging which would also give it more lift. I'm waiting for some one else to figure this out for sure before I put any more money in the mower. My cut is not terrible but not great at 3.5" to 4" I mow side by side with the Exmark to make sure and the Exmark side each blade of grass has been stood up (by the lift of the deck) and cut even while the hustler has blades of grass that are sticking up higher than the rest. If you go over a dip it is very apparent that the Hustler looses all the suction because thats where you see alot of grass cut very unevenly. Pj gave me the part number for this baffle on one of the Hustler post but I don't have it with me at this time.
What hustler did was make a Z turn deck to show what this thing can do for maximum productivity in open areas that do not get cut all the time with tall long stingers.. They should have a front baffel section you can buy to lower the front baffel along with the bolt on front strip you are talking about. That will stand all the grass up better and should fix your problem. Hustler should get to work on something like this so they will have a deck for all ocassions. For me the stock setup is great the front is designed not as low to keep from pushing the stingers all the way over so they stand back up easier and get cut lower. For wide open cutting where I am at the machine is great and I commend Hustler but they need to help you all solve your problem. I bought this machine for a certain cutting condition and Hustler decided a while ago for what I was doing there was a need for the XR7. I got lucky and bought a Hustler just because they looked like they were the best engineered and made but little did I realize the machine was designed specifically what I wanted it for. I am real happy!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What hustler did was make a Z turn deck to show what this thing can do for maximum productivity in open areas that do not get cut all the time with tall long stingers.. They should have a front baffel section you can buy to lower the front baffel along with the bolt on front strip you are talking about. That will stand all the grass up better and should fix your problem. Hustler should get to work on something like this so they will have a deck for all ocassions. For me the stock setup is great the front is designed not as low to keep from pushing the stingers all the way over so they stand back up easier and get cut lower. For wide open cutting where I am at the machine is great and I commend Hustler but they need to help you all solve your problem. I bought this machine for a certain cutting condition and Hustler decided a while ago for what I was doing there was a need for the XR7. I got lucky and bought a Hustler just because they looked like they were the best engineered and made but little did I realize the machine was designed specifically what I wanted it for. I am real happy!
That is the way I feel I want to cut as much as I can as fast as possible. I have never thought about the height I am mowing to much because I am on my personal property with to many acres to mow. One of you might be able to estimate the height I'm cutting, I run 8 lbs. of air in every tire and the pin is in the fifth hole for 90% of the cutting I do, what height would this be? It cuts clean there for me but if I go up to the sixth hole it want cut nearly as clean with any speed at all in comparison.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That was what TLS was telling me, about the front baffle

Quote:
TLS was telling me that about the front baffle. The way it's set up as you say it can cut large overgrown areas down in a heart beat. The XR7 deck takes almost no power away from the engine the way the Ultracut with the baffles and supper lift does. So you get a faster but not as smooth a cut. Makes a great bush hog on two week jobs. I'm going to take some picture for TLS as soon as I get some time. He has had experience with lowering baffles. Hustler is slow about returning my emails when they do. Hard to get answers for these questions so it's a good thing we have this board. Looking at the map Norther grasses are used in most of the country so I don't understand why Hustler which says they have done extensive test on the XR7 deck does not have answers on how to set it up properly for Northern grasses. Shady Brook has been on the Hustler forum trying to get answers and so far he hasn't been able to get the cut he's looking for. He's tried spacing the blades down, doubles, different blades etc. This is the smooth cut I'm looking for. This is the Exmark in very heavy grass with recent rains. Every blade is the same height. No little straglers or rough look to the cut.
Attached Images