Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Little Wonder walk-behind edgers on all trailers at all times. Each property gets edged weekly. Employee caught using string trimmer on a property - find somewhere else to work!! All of my employees complain about it initially, but everyone of them loves it when they try out the walk-behinds. Nothing beats a clean straight edge along all the walks and drives.

SFLQPR
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Palms Property Management
False statement, if I read it correctly. How is a wb edger faster and better then a stick edger? Anyways, I prefer a stick edger over all. If the right one is purchased, it will cut through first time over growth on edges. It's simple and fast to edge with a stick and like most said, you really only have to edge once every 2-3 weeks to keep it manicured. Just my opinion.
Better and faster than a weedeater was what I initially said. I do not like the stihl stick edger I have that much. It seems short. I am only 5'10 and it seems you still have to bend over a bit with it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that although I do believe a good walk behind edger gives the best look, etc., chipping away at cement does happen and is inevitable. I am sure that will open a whole other can of worms with responses like, " what are you doing grinding against cement", etc.

Last edited by hughmcjr; 08-25-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmcjr
Better and faster than a weedeater was what I initially said. I do not like the stihl stick edger I have that much. It seems short. I am only 5'10 and it seems you still have to bend over a bit with it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that although I do believe a good walk behind edger gives the best look, etc., chipping away at cement does happen and is inevitable. I am sure that will open a whole other can of worms with responses like, " what are you doing grinding against cement", etc.
Tilt the top away from the cement. That way you are not hitting the top edge.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlemson
Not sure if the correct forum or not, but can someone show and tell me the difference b/t a stick edger and a line trimmer. Im thinking of buying a walk behin edger for personal use. I probably only edge once ever 3-4 weeks, but I use a piece of crap Black and Decker electric edger right now(I got it for free). I live on a corner lot with bermuda turf and its a pain to keep edged. I have a cheap weed eater that is hard to make a straight line with. Should I buy a walk behind gas powered or a stick edger?

Thanks

Eric
Wow every 3-4 weeks with Bermuda, I believe you will love a stick edger. It is very quick to do every week and than the grass will always look neat. It will edge as fast as you can walk--if you do it weekly
Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi there...I work in RI but have a friend (customer in NY) who only gets her grass cut so she can have the nice edges on her driveway and sidewalk.

Seems like whatever you use it is important to some people.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I Use The Stick Edger On All Yards That Have Drive Ways And Curbs. Only Use The Weedeater On The Yards That Have Be Edge With Weedeater By Previous Lco. I Train Anyone That Works With Me To Use The Stick Edger . The Old Heads Like To Use The Weedeater. Its Hard To Get Them To Use The Stick Edger. Its Much Easier For Me To Stick Edge When That Old Head Has Quit On Me That Thinks You Should Use The Weedeater To Do It.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. I have to say for me an edger will be a must for a quality LCO business. Now how to actually use one properly will be another story.. :-P

Daniel
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you shouldn't have much trouble using one.. haha. I love stick edgers. Ours broke the second mowing week this year so we used a walk-behind until this week, because I was finally un-lazy enough to get on line and order the flex shaft, which was the broken part. Came in three days. If I had only done that months ago..! It's a ryobi by the way.. so parts arent easy to find at dealers. Anyone want to give me a stihl or redmax?

Lawn Pro - Complete Lawn and Landscape Care
www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Husqvarna stick edger and love it. Much better than using a trimmer.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1971
I need to clarify here. I'm talking about for the driveway and walkways to have a nice property edge. Thanks!

Daniel

Yes Sir, mandatory for a nice sharp clean edge. True story: I do this yard next to this grass nut, who is crazy about his yard. He cuts it himself ferts. etc...
And we would always some how cut at the same time. And my sh!t always looked better. He asked me what he was doing wrong, I said," Your technique is wrong brotha".
Now he has the basic essential equip that will do the job, trimmer,stick edger, mower, blower.

What he does not know is how to use them and in the proper manner.