Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My wife made these this morning cutting at 3 1/2 inches with the Hustler XR7 66" mulcher and a stripe roller. I gave her a hard time for her crooked lines but she didn't get much sleep she said. I'm not complaining she usually does a good job even on bad days. The grass was dripping wet when we mowed it this morning this is the 2nd pass the 1st was messy.
Attached Images

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 09-02-2006, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

pic of stripes are great

thank for some pic of some stripes. sure wished mine looked that good. Man a girl made my stripes look weak.lol. I tried adjusting my kit so i guess i'll see how it works tommorrow or in a few hours thank again for the pic.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have posted some pics of stripes in other posts but here is one from yesterday. It is not my best work by any means...
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2006, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellers_jon
thank for some pic of some stripes. sure wished mine looked that good. Man a girl made my stripes look weak.lol. I tried adjusting my kit so i guess i'll see how it works tommorrow or in a few hours thank again for the pic.
It helps when you live up north the lawns stripe easier than down there. I like the roller over the rubber flap though. The grass here is fine and tears easily so some flaps can do more damage if set up wrong. I also have seen flaps that drag the gravel onto the lawn etc if there set to low or to stiff. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I would like to see how a roller works out there versus the rubber flap.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

So far or for now the rubber worked better for me.But I also had mulchin blades. Im just worndering if that aint my problem now.Even with the flap mulchin blades done better. Guys rubber or roller my stripes dont look like these pic so thumbs up they look good. My stripes look pale.I adusted my roller it done a little better.I would like to see a pic of a john deere set up with the roller just to get a idea what I need to do.Man sure would like stripes like thoes pic.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ENVY
"Hi... our grass here in NC doesn't stripe real easy like it does for those guys up north. Even the cool season grasses here are stiffer than they are up there during more sunny years like this one... unless it's a shade lawn of course. I guess it's the intensity of the sun that makes our grasses so hard/coarse. "

Envy sometime take a close up of your cool season grasses and post it. Up here we cut at 3.25 to 3.75 with a few shorter and longer. But where I live we don't see a cloud all summer most yrs. We are in Wa St but it's all desert here with 300 days of sunshine per yr. So the sun may not be the difference. We have a dry heat you have a humid heat. I'm thinking maybe you just have a mix of cool season grasses mixed in with the your southern turf. Just not enough to stripe easily. Just trying to figure out the difference. I don't need the striper roller out here to stripe with the Hustler at all it stripes without it, but thats how easy this grass lays over.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellers_jon
So far or for now the rubber worked better for me.But I also had mulchin blades. Im just worndering if that aint my problem now.Even with the flap mulchin blades done better. Guys rubber or roller my stripes dont look like these pic so thumbs up they look good. My stripes look pale.I adusted my roller it done a little better.I would like to see a pic of a john deere set up with the roller just to get a idea what I need to do.Man sure would like stripes like thoes pic.

Jon, My mowers stripe better with the muching kit on than off. The stripe is darker. But when I side discharge with mulching blades the grass clippings cover the stripes up even after double passes. How much pitch or rake do you have ?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

MBJ... I'll do that... might even have some in a file somewhere already.

It would be interesting to know for sure. But even pure stands of cool season grass do not stripe easily. But I notice the character of the Fescues changes with the weather. When it's real healthy and getting plenty of sun it is tuff and stiff. The hotter it gets, the coarser it gets, and then there is the point where just before it starts to 'heat-stress'... it like wilts sort of and stripes easier.

The warm season turf stripes close to the same. It's just that the grass blades are different and do not catch the light quite like fescues and such do.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-03-2006, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

what is a pitck or rake

I'm not understanding what a pitch or rake
Old 09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

what is a pitck or rake

I'm not understanding what a pitch or rake.