Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll use this for home use, mowing about 4-5 acres per week. The Tank I am looking at is the M48 with the welded deck.
I noticed in one of the brochures that the 19, 23, and 25 hp Kawasaki engines all show the same displacement (41.2 cu in) and compression ratio (8.1:1). What is different that gives those different horsepower and torque? Do they have different carburetors?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

T.s.c. Buy A Cub Cadet Then You Have Some Money To Fix It !two Years After Your Warranty Runs Out!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkbow
I'll use this for home use, mowing about 4-5 acres per week. The Tank I am looking at is the M48 with the welded deck.
I noticed in one of the brochures that the 19, 23, and 25 hp Kawasaki engines all show the same displacement (41.2 cu in) and compression ratio (8.1:1). What is different that gives those different horsepower and torque? Do they have different carburetors?

Yup just different carbs and cams. BTW we have a 2006 M48 we bought new this year. Love it!!!
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have $6000 to spend you might want to look around for a good used one at the end of the season. For that much, you could find a decent used Scag 61 or Lazer especially if you have cash. You will only need it a month or two anyway this season. I would look for a deal on a good used one at this point.
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Are you saying you would buy the demo Cub Cadet Tank at $5000 and 36 very rough "loaner" hours over the new Hustler for $6000?.
By cub I thought you meant tiger cub. There is no way I would buy a cub cadet ztr. I would go with a scag, exmark, ferris or bobcat. I have no experience with hustler. There are no dealers were I live so I never tried one.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I have pretty much decided to go with the Hustler Mini Z with a 19 hp Kawasaki and a 52” cut. The Tank rides a lot rougher even though is has a pivoting front axel like a tractor. The Hustler also steers smoother and just has a better ride overall.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I have pretty much decided to go with the Hustler Mini Z with a 19 hp Kawasaki and a 52” cut. The Tank rides a lot rougher even though is has a pivoting front axel like a tractor. The Hustler also steers smoother and just has a better ride overall.
How does the tank cut?

I will be asking your question next year when I need a ztr.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Never judge a ZTR's ride quality based until you have personally checked all 4 tires with a good low pressure tire gauge. What I find is that 9 times out of 10 the demos have like 20-30 PSI in all four tires. They all ride really bad like that and none of the ZTR's besides Ferris IS machines ride comfortable really. They all ride like war wagons to a degree.

If the Hustler Mini has a suspension seat, that makes all the difference.
One can be added to the Cub Tank for about $160.

Anyways, if you don't feel comfortable with the condition of that Cub demo, I can't say as I blame you... especially if you can't go the extra for it. But I'm surprised you show no interest in getting a Scag demo and a Gravely demo before you "jump the gun" and buy. Just remember that if you are like most, you will have to live with your decision quite a while.

I also agree that it is late in the year to be buying.
But if you need it, you need it I guess.

If you could get by without it a bit longer, and you have a good used equipment market in your area, you might be able to pick up a steal soon. Personally, I don't have that option in my area because the 'used market' is pitiful around me.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-07-2006, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
Never judge a ZTR's ride quality based until you have personally checked all 4 tires with a good low pressure tire gauge. What I find is that 9 times out of 10 the demos have like 20-30 PSI in all four tires. They all ride really bad like that and none of the ZTR's besides Ferris IS machines ride comfortable really. They all ride like war wagons to a degree.

If the Hustler Mini has a suspension seat, that makes all the difference.
One can be added to the Cub Tank for about $160.

Anyways, if you don't feel comfortable with the condition of that Cub demo, I can't say as I blame you... especially if you can't go the extra for it. But I'm surprised you show no interest in getting a Scag demo and a Gravely demo before you "jump the gun" and buy. Just remember that if you are like most, you will have to live with your decision quite a while.

I also agree that it is late in the year to be buying.
But if you need it, you need it I guess.

If you could get by without it a bit longer, and you have a good used equipment market in your area, you might be able to pick up a steal soon. Personally, I don't have that option in my area because the 'used market' is pitiful around me.
You are right about the air pressure; the Tank had 27 pounds in the rear all 4 tires. After about 30 minutes of mowing I checked them and lowered the pressure to 13 psi rear, and 18-20 in front and it helped, but it still didn't ride as good as the Hustler, which did not have a suspension seat or the torsion forks. He offered me a new M48 with a 23 Kawi for $6000 even.

I have found out there is an Everide dealer 30 miles from here. Are they worth looking into?
I suppose I could wait, but I will have to borrow some rider, or hire my 1.25 acre vacant lot mowed since the only mower I have right now is a push mower.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner with 2 acres. I bought the tiger cub with the 24 Briggs in April and have had no problems at all. Plenty of power and great deck discharge in all conditions that I've seen. Alot of people tried to steer me away from the Briggs, but I didn't feel that the Kaw was worth the extra money for my circumstances. I figure to put between 30-40 hours/year on the mower; it has 25 on it now. I paid cash and got the mower for 5800+tax. I would definitely demo the Scag before buying. Just my two cents.