Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Now we're talking. Sorry if I missed it but is it an EFI engine?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

air-cooled and carburated. Simple and big.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds like just the engine we need on a 60" super Z. You'd never have to worry about not having enough power. I hope they have them available by next March or April.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Make it an EFI and Im sold! Would prefer a little diesel though!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy
I hope life is treating you and the family well, do you have the 28 efi and if so how has the engine done for you? I would trade tomorrow for a 34 efi, as far as the diesel goes it will just last longer and I really don't care about dieing with the same mower, I like different things to much to ride the same mower very long. I already have 136 hrs. on this new mower just cutting my own property, that is probably as many as a lot of commercial boys would put on one. The 28 efi has been the best engine I have had on any of the Super Z's, it has been absolutely flawless, it cranks better (in any throttle position) uses no oil, switches off very well, never tried to backfire like the 27's and runs perfectly in all situations with better fuel economy. I would always like more power, if I had a 34 efi I would want a 50 next but there would have to be a lot of changes made to put the power on the ground and in the blades.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We're well thanks mate! Hope you and yours are too! Season is upon us!
I have the 04 SuperZ 28/60. While the 28 is adequate, I find it wanting in some places. Long thick Bermuda is a struggle and even worse when wet or add a hill. This may be different with the new deck though, but I am a little concerned about the cut quality issues and the longer frame. Im not to keen on the longer frame due to potential scalping. Most lawns I do are not flat but undulating to extremely rough. When the time comes to upgrade, these things will be checked with a very good demo though. Thats 2 or 3 years off anyway!

I just want the diesel for the torque. I dont care how long the engine last as it would be traded every 3 or 4 years anyway. I have a JDX595 with a 24hp diesel 54" deck and it ran fantastic. Some of the stuff it used to cut would blow you away and it just keeps on going. I could only imagine what a 28hp Kub would do. I thought Dixon ran a vert shaft 23hp or something Yanmar on there little diesel. Now if that was made to 27 or 28hp, be perfect with a 60" deck.

I do think more attention has been made to the transport speed rather than the over all performance with the SuperZ. Ive mowed parks flat out and the speed is great but 95% of the time, I would rather it climb hills and cut thick Bermuda without bogging so much.
In about 12 hours from now, it will be put on exactly that type of set up, long thick damp Bermuda with a slope. During winter I got the time to cut the place down to 2 hours, during the grow season, can take up to 4 hours!

Anyway, thats my rant! lol
Old 09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We're well thanks mate! Hope you and yours are too! Season is upon us!
I have the 04 SuperZ 28/60. While the 28 is adequate, I find it wanting in some places. Long thick Bermuda is a struggle and even worse when wet or add a hill. This may be different with the new deck though, but I am a little concerned about the cut quality issues and the longer frame. Im not to keen on the longer frame due to potential scalping. Most lawns I do are not flat but undulating to extremely rough. When the time comes to upgrade, these things will be checked with a very good demo though. Thats 2 or 3 years off anyway!

I just want the diesel for the torque. I dont care how long the engine last as it would be traded every 3 or 4 years anyway. I have a JDX595 with a 24hp diesel 54" deck and it ran fantastic. Some of the stuff it used to cut would blow you away and it just keeps on going. I could only imagine what a 28hp Kub would do. I thought Dixon ran a vert shaft 23hp or something Yanmar on there little diesel. Now if that was made to 27 or 28hp, be perfect with a 60" deck.

I do think more attention has been made to the transport speed rather than the over all performance with the SuperZ. Ive mowed parks flat out and the speed is great but 95% of the time, I would rather it climb hills and cut thick Bermuda without bogging so much.
In about 12 hours from now, it will be put on exactly that type of set up, long thick damp Bermuda with a slope. During winter I got the time to cut the place down to 2 hours, during the grow season, can take up to 4 hours!

Anyway, thats my rant! lol
I cut thick damp Bermuda yesterday and it gave the 28 more than it wanted but I don't have the slopes to contend with and that would make a lot of difference. Hustler has Kawasaki and Kohler working on the more powerful engines for the Super Z's but the problem they are running into is trying to get the power through the blades without smoking belts if it runs into more grass than the deck can handle and not the engine. I think they want to stay away from the drive shafts for some reason, I guess more maintenance involved but we can all use more power. If you happen to run out of gas with the efi what procedure do you use to start the engine?
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I cut thick damp Bermuda yesterday and it gave the 28 more than it wanted but I don't have the slopes to contend with and that would make a lot of difference. Hustler has Kawasaki and Kohler working on the more powerful engines for the Super Z's but the problem they are running into is trying to get the power through the blades without smoking belts if it runs into more grass than the deck can handle and not the engine. I think they want to stay away from the drive shafts for some reason, I guess more maintenance involved but we can all use more power. If you happen to run out of gas with the efi what procedure do you use to start the engine?
I have had some here that are a PITA to get started after I have worked on the fuel system. Generally you should be able to cycle the key like 3 times and that should do it. Usually does with the EFI cars I mess with.

I have had to put a pressure tester with a valve on them to bleed the air out before.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have heard from our dealer and a hustler rep several times that they are going to start offering a twin cylinder vertical shaft Yanmar diesel thats gonna be around 20-25 hp.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Puppy, that X595 I have has a shaft drive to deck and other than a squirt of grease, its almost maintenance free. I reckon shaft is the way to go!
I really wish it would suck fuel from both tanks at the same time. It can be dangerous while on a slope and run out, unable to flick the valve in time.
I just give it a few starts and that works ok like Pugs said. I think thats just a normal set up where the pump has to get the fuel going but if it took fuel from both sides, there wouldnt be an issue! The fuel tank caps are rubbish with leaking. I hope they got that sorted with the new tanks!

Travis, if its true then thats great but even the 25hp probably wouldnt be that different to the 28efi. It needs to be 28 or 30hp to make it worth all the hassle and cost. We all want higher hp so going with 25max just wouldnt cut it in my book when Grasshopper, Kubota are 28hp and others up into 33 and 35hp.

My wish list, possible or not!
28hp Air Cooled diesel on the basic older short frame.
Somehow make the newer (improved) deck fit the old frame.
Shaft or hydro deck drive.
Make all belts a standard size so correct replacements can be found in Belt shops, not over priced mower dealers.
Move one of the hydros so can be easier access for when have to release the "nut". For when have to push the machine. Access to that release valve sucks!
Also, the hydro filter is a pita to get to!
Hyrdo sorted for more power to the blades. Take some speed off if needed. ATV hydros sound like the go for this!
Rollers on the back of the machine are to low and hit ALL the time, can hang you up on the most basic of dips. Even getting it off the trailer they always hit. They need to be 2" higher, perhaps the whole back of the frame needs to be higher.
The foot deck raiser thing needs to be longer and or bent so its easier to get with the foot.
A nice, not over sized folding rops.
Needs a storage compartment or tool box.
6 Tie downs. 3 front and back.
Deck easier to level.
Take sharp edges (top trim side) off the deck as that is where the paint is peeling.
Use standard size bolts on everything! Scalp wheel bolts for example.
MUCH easier access to the hydro cooler on the spoiler. Cant believe to have to disassemble the whole thing to blow it off! May be easy but still, what a drama!
Access to the hydro drive belt is a pita when in the field. Can be extremely dangerous changing one out! Not sure how that could be fixed though!
I would like to see larger tires on the machine and smooth front casters.
12v plug as standard. I had one fitted when I bought mine. Comes in handy for blowing up flats, lights etc.
Mud guards. This may sound silly but Ive had mud and dog sh!t flick up on me. Might keep the machine cleaner.
A lifting "thing" for the front end for changine blades. I know its easy to drive up a ramp etc but still, its not much to ask. One for the rear too to get out of a bog. Lift up, place mesh under and drive out. Simple! lol