Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbovesiny
Your gonna get those customers. Your better off walking away.
I'm saying... The sooner, the better.

She just did you a favor, man I don't know if nowadays I could resist having a big smile on my face someone starts going off on me like in that situation, thou most likely I'd wait for the laugh-and-smile bit until I was a ways down the road, don't let them catch on LOL.

p.s.: even thou the end result is the same, a customer can not fire you, and any customer using the term evidently does not think much of us. They can cancel service, they can 'no longer need this' and so on, but firing is for bosses and their employees, not owner/operators and their customers (or vice versa whatever).... Either way, it's all good, let her make life miserable for the next guy, you're one step further up now.

Last edited by topsites; 09-06-2006 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate to say it and I will be waiting for the full service guys to give me a headache. I do maint not fert and I give a laundry list of fert applicator in the area for the customer to make an informed decision. I do however spray the cracks and stuff for weed control on concrete and around the fences works out well and when you explain that the cost of maint and the cost of fert are really two different areas for the clients you are wanting it wouldn'dt be as productive for you to do it and then explain that most companies have a satisfaction gaureentee witht he ferts. For example my friend has been loosing his beehind trying to get this one ladies yard right and he is loosing more than he is making with this fert stuff. She complains for every weed in the yard which we all know that it is near impossible to turn a yard around that has been neglected in one season. I find almost all of the customers are responsive when a you know what your talking about explain and not hide your services and provide literature on how and why your yard needs this or that like proper cutting hight.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You did not get fired-- She wanted a service that you do not offer, Thats all. Don't dwell in the past but learn from it. Partner up with some applicators and you do your part and let them do theirs. Find someone that does not mow so they will refer back to you.
For the record - you did right to just listen and than leave, never lower youself to the level of "fighting back". You are a pro and you acted like one.
This is all just part of business.
I agree with lindbloom "Not bad for the second Monday of the week."
Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho25
Well I am sure this won't be the 1st but god it sucked.. Had a client call me up and basically fire me... here's the main issue, in the state of fla, we can not apply pesticides or furt to lawns unless we work with a company for 5 years...so this clients lawn was getting bad cinch bugs, and other fungus, I would advise her what to do, even told her what to get and that if she got it, then I would apply it....well her lawn was getting worse an worse, and to boot, she was only watering it like once every two weeks, and was not watering the back...so everything started to spread...to which she blamed me...i had to bite my tongue and take it...even knowing there was nothing more that I could have done, which i wish i would have been able to ...... then to boot, she was complain about the cut...an just kept going on an on...I let her rant and told her that I was sorry. God that sucked!!! But I was approached today at another clients house and got another new client, so..... still sucks to lose one like that.
Sorry to hear it bro,but comes with the job keep ya head up you did what you could do and when its all done thats all you can do.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm just glad I don't live in Florida....It would be my luck to be her next lco.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You'll love this...Just got a call from a commercial account:

Me: Hello?
Him: This is Lee.
Me: What can I do for you?
Him: I'm terminating your contract effective immediately.
Me: Really? May I ask why?
Him: We're out of work and have to have something for the employees to do.
Me: You haven't listened to your voice mail have you?
Him: No. Why do you ask?
Me: because when you wouldn't answer your phone and my third time trying to contact you, I left you an important message.
Him: What?
Me: I already canceled your contract over a week ago.
Him: You can't do that! We had an agreement!
Me: I let it slide when the bushes were trimmed at your office when I arrived and you said you needed the work for your employees. Then I went to one of the properties to see you had your guys mulch and repair the front yard behind my back.
Him: We-l- uh, why...
Me: Thats was bullsheet Lee. This is what I do for a living. And you screwed me.
Him: Well I did-
Me: Don't call me next year...

It was hilarious!

Don't pet the sweaty stuff and don't sweat the petty stuff dude...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier-Lawn
you can do the fert just not the pest part. no license is need in fl to apply fert to lawns period.
Are you sure about this? So I can apply all the types of Fert to lawns and sell it to the client as a service, such as long as there is no pest controll in the product??? Legal???
Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im glad we could help...and man I get it!!! You go out and do the best you can...take pride in your work...and then you meet a tail hole...it happens. Just keep your head up...keep those work ethics, and you'll have nothing to worry about. A holes are everywhere...just the way it is.
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho25
Are you sure about this? So I can apply all the types of Fert to lawns and sell it to the client as a service, such as long as there is no pest controll in the product??? Legal???

Yup. Up until a year ago i still had my Florida PCO Lic. You can spread anything but herbicides and pesticides.

if the yard man clause is still intact, you can apply using her chemicals and her equipment. Ie stuff purchased at Home Depot and one of the Ortho Hose End sprayers....But I don't know if it is still on the books or not...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget about the limited landscape & ornamental license.
You can apply most products to landscaped areas (NOT turf)
That will get you legal for spraying weeds in the beds.
The experience requirement was dropped a month or so ago