Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2006, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Bed liner

I just purchased a used 1 ton dump truck,the bed is in great shape and I'd like to keep it that way. Would line-x or that type of coating hold up or would it just get destroyed? I'm going to haul mostly mulch or leaves but sometimes dirt and stone. Any feedback on this? Thanx
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The spray on liners do not protect the bed as well from dents and such as do other liners, not to mention the cost.

Molded liners add a layer of rigidity to the bed that protects from throwing logs or heavy objects into the bed, a spray on cannot protect from such abuses because it is directly adhered to the bed.

Just my experience after hauling plenty of firewood for quite a few years.

On edit: Sorry it's a dump your talking about, I was talking about a standard bed.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I've hauled everything from mulch (dumped in)to barn stone and field stone (hand placed) in my silverado with a line x liner and couldn't be happier. Again that's in a pick up not a dump. Happy Haulin!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningdeer
I've hauled everything from mulch (dumped in)to barn stone and field stone (hand placed) in my silverado with a line x liner and couldn't be happier. Again that's in a pick up not a dump. Happy Haulin!
I agree. I'll never own another truck without a spray-in bed liner. My experience is the Rhino linings type tend to be a little spongier - they slip less, but are more prone to chips. The LineX tend to be a little harder - more durable, maybe slides just a little more. I prefer the LineX due to the durability, but I imagine a lot more depends on the person installing the liner. You can also pickup home install kits. As mentioned, they won't protect from dents, but IMO it's well worth having.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think I could light a bomb off in my truck bed and the line-X would hold it together. I've done everything i could think of and no problems at all. Worth every penny.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do not line-x your dump truck. Why would you want to line the bed with something that will cause the material to stick to it? If you want to protect the bed paint it with anti-rust paint and get a poly slider like the tandem/tri/quad trucks use. Line-X is great for pickup trucks but not for dump trucks.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcmattlifter
Do not line-x your dump truck. Why would you want to line the bed with something that will cause the material to stick to it? If you want to protect the bed paint it with anti-rust paint and get a poly slider like the tandem/tri/quad trucks use. Line-X is great for pickup trucks but not for dump trucks.
I am glad you said that. I was just thinking about that, every time you would go to dump something you would have to jump out at clean the box. I like the idea of a polly slider.

I have ran plently of dump truck with any sort of liner and didn't have a problem. When we would have rock of busted up concrete we would put a couple of inches of dirt in the bottom of the bed then be careful when dropping stone in.

Line-X for a pickup bed, yes be all means a good investment.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 09-23-2006, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcmattlifter
... Why would you want to line the bed with something that will cause the material to stick to it? ...
DOH! Good example of why I should think the post through more carefully before replying!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess no line-x. I wasn't really conserned about dents,it is more about scratching it all up which =RUST.so any recamendations on a good paint that will hold up any better?