Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-25-2006, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the wide wall tires on a Bocat??????

Just like the title says i need to by new tires for my s250 and was wondering if they are any good all input would be helpfull.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The answer to your question depends upon what you are doing with them. I am assuming you are talking about the 33X15X16.5 to replace the 32X12X16.5 that comes stock on the S250. I also have a S250. The wider tires are good for soft/sandy soils and crossing lawns with less damage. Much better floatation. They also give more tractive force pusing into a pile etc. Remember you also have to purchase the wider rim to put them on. If you do a lot of work on concrete or asphalt then you are just wasting your money on something that wears just as fast as the stock ones but costs more. They also won't compact as well as the stock size. I have easily achieved 96%+ compaction track rolling with the stock tires but I don't think I would get much better than 90 - 92% with the wider ones due to less pressure (never tried it with the wide ones though).
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have used them on a 95XT which is a very heavy machine. I was very impressed felt like much more tractive effort was available than with the 12-16.5s The floatation was much improved. The only downside I can find is the purchase price of the tires and as Bob says you'll want to stay off asphalt or concrete with them. I also like to keep my machine at 73" in width and you can't do that at least with a CASE with those large tires.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I found a good deal on a new set of rims and tires. Because i have to buy new tires anyway i figured it would be smart to spend a couple hundred more and get the wider ones. I will be using the machine this winter with a 10ft pusher and some times im in the mud. Ocassionally im on asphalt but i guess everyone has to go on asphalt at some time. I understand that the tires are expensive and thats something that i have to consider Thanks for the info, any others are usefull
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

My machine has the 10" tires. What about switching to the 12.5"s? Is that worth doing? I normally get my tires foam filled, but I am considering some of the McClarens for my next replacement. Those would have the rims included. I guess I might need some spacers. Is there much difference going from 10 to 12.5?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-26-2006, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I think they make a difference. I think that the 12.5 are more heavy duty than the 10
Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

They are taller and will raise the heel of your bucket up making it harder to do level grading. They also make wider tires for your application that aren't any taller. They might work better if you do finish grading.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Does it matter alot that the wider tires are 8 ply and the stock tires are 10 ply. I sometimes have heavy loads on it, Are the 8 ply still ok