Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2001, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro 21" won't pull like she used to

My 21" Toro Commercial has slowly lost pulling power until now it only pulls on level or downhill concrete in 3rd gear. Is there some kind of adjustment I can perform to get the power back? Did the cable stretch, or what? Thanks very much for your assistance.
Old 07-08-2001, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

My 21" Toro has an inline barrel adjustment on the cable. Pull the housing and inspect belt/ clean out the muck.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Member

There is a round adjustment screw that surrounds the cable where it enters the transmission/drive cable housing with a dtent spring on top of it.. Usually we adjust that. I would also remove the cover and clean out any grass. For some reason we get a lot of grass in there when the lawns are dry. Our 21" proline was bought in 96 and we only had to replace the belt once. We have not had much of a problem with belt stretching on this. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2001, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. They're great! Now, once I get it moving again, how can I mount a sulky to this rascal?
Old 07-10-2001, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Bill, I do not think that you can mount a sulky or it will have the ability to pull one. For your information in the future, Toro has added a new feature to their web site. They have an online parts lookup for all of their mowers. All you need to have is the model number, which is believe is a 22040 (newer model) or 22030 if the older model and the serial number. The parts diagrams are very helpful when working on the equipment. You can also order manuals online as well.
We just picked up an older Toro 21" Proline last night at a pawn shop. They did not know what is was and could not get it to work, so we got it for $40.00. It turned out the fuel line was turned off.

Good luck with you mower. We have lots of good service out of ours.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Craig. That's good to know about Toro online. I was just kidding about the sulky, but it sure would be nice. Sounds like you got the ultimate deal from that pawn shop. Congrats!